I’m taking a break from the druid stuff for a bit to look at professions…specifically, the cooldowns on those professions. Why? Well, everyone needs gold. Playing the AH (buy low/sell high, crafting for DE, glyphs, etc.) is definitely the best gold-making method in the game, but that takes time and effort; effort I’d rather spend on raiding, when I’m online. Therefore, I’ve compiled a quick table of (some of) the profession CD’s, and their relative profitability. (I’m only interested in focusing on items with CD’s, since that creates a soft cap on supply, which keeps prices high. Most items created by professions generally sell for less than the cost of their materials, since supply is so high; the exception being recipes that are harder to obtain, such as world drops/raid drops.)
Also, you can make a bit of money by buying CD’s off people who won’t exert themselves to grab their own mats off the AH. Note that I’ve included the cooking/JC dailies since they take under ~5 minutes, as long as you have the other items banked (Chilled Meat/Rhino Meat/Uncommon Gems).
|Eye of Zul||136||112|
|Xmute E.Water -> E. Fire||38||34|
|Xmute S.Bar -> T. Bar (1)||36||20|
|Daily Quest (3)||17.5||17.5|
|Icy Prism (4)||70||-2|
|Dragon’s Eye (Daily) (5)||125||117|
As you can see from the table, if you like making reliable gold from your professions, Alch/JC is the way to go. Log on, hit your xmute, do your ~5min JC daily, AH the gem/eye, and boom! 200g for 10min work, or more if you’re xmute specced, which you should be. (If you’re willing to forgo Eye sales for a few days, you can also learn a few epic cuts to boost your gem profitability).
If you play less frequently than daily, than consider tailoring, and its ability to make ~400g every 4 days. (remember, you can specialize in one type of cloth, so you get 2 for 1…that’s 4 pieces every 4 days.) Unfortunately, Titansteel isn’t so hot right now since Titanium Ore is so expensive/profitable. If there’s any cooldowns I’m forgetting (does Engineering have anything? Inscription?) please let me know in the comments. My main is currently Alch/LW, so once every 3 weeks or so, I look for a cheap 20-stack of eternals/gems, buy it, and xmute away. LW doesn’t do much, profession-wise. My (retired) alt is Tailor/Enchanter, so I mail him all my greens, and log him on twice a week to make cloth/DE. Every month, I mail him a stack of eternals/frostweave, and he mails back the rare cloth/essences/shards to my banker alt. (If I was doing it over, I’d make the bank alt a DK and give him alch/JC.)
Notes (All prices from www.wowoah.com; should be roughly accurate):
(1) Titanium Bar Xmute is due to go off CD in 3.3…this should bump up the price of Saronite Bars (and ore), making it only slightly profitable.
(2) As mentioned above, Tailoring is on a 4 day CD, compared to the rest which are all 1 day CD’s.
(3) Calculated by the value of quest reward gold + converting all tokens to spices for AH sale. Spices are probably worth more as cooking reagents but that’s beyond the scope of this post.
(4) I don’t have any hard data on Icy Prisms, but it looks like they make money if you get a red/eye/epic, and lose money otherwise. Probably a good way to unload Frost Orbs, but that’s about it. I welcome anyone else with better info- I can’t check wowhead atm so I’m not sure if the average 2.5 rare gem droprate that I found is accurate.
(5) Calculated by the AH price of Dragon’s Eyes minus the price of 2 green NR gems on AH.