EDIT: Thanks to all who replied. I’ll be joining <Collateral Damage> on US-Vek’nilash. I’m also working on a blog post describing how I went about looking for a new guild.
Not much to report; I’m still killing people while tanking due to bad hotel wifi and a slow computer, but that’s not new. Tanking in 2pT10 with cat gear on leads to some nice DPS numbers. My DK finally hit 80, so I get to mess around with some plate tanking and such. I can’t believe that two of my top 10 games (Bioshock/Mass Effect) have sequels due out while my XB360 and PC are somewhere over the Pacific. (hopefully over…under would be bad.) The Motorola Droid is a very nice phone. :)
This post isn’t about that. I’m really struggling, more than I thought I would, with what I want from a new guild. I had a really good time with my casual guild, but I’d like to take the step up to one that’s a bit more progression-focused. Unfortunately, being both an Army officer and a father of a toddler, my raiding time is generally somewhat limited. I’m torn between looking for a 10-man guild (whether it be ten-strict or not) or a 25-man. 25’s get all the cool toys and itemization, and they have more complex strategy and execution requirements (good) but also more drama and less efficiency. (I hate wasting time, and people who waste other’s time unnecessarily). I also dislike the reduced accountability and cohesion that can come from that.
Sooo…let’s make a list. (Man, another list. I should rename this blog to The Bullet-Pointed Parenthetical-Comment Inserting Druid).
- An Alliance guild on a US PvE or RP server that raids 8-12 EST (or a subset of that), 2-3 days a week, with an 80-90% attendance requirement or so. More raid days is fine, but I can’t promise I’ll make more days than that.
- A respectful guild of mature people. I will not tolerate abuse or harassment (of anyone), at all.
- A guild that holds its members to high and transparent standards. If I’m slacking on DPS/whatever, the RL should call me out (respectfully), and likewise for other people…however, it better be clear what DPS he/she’s expecting. In the same vein, I’d prefer a transparent loot system (i.e. not loot council), though I could be persuaded otherwise.
- A guild that’s willing and able to challenge the toughest content available, without sacrificing the above. To use a slightly crude analogy, i’m looking for a committed relationship, not a one-night stand. :P
- Um, this goes without saying, but blogger-friendly. :)
- A guild on a PvP server. Nothing against them personally, I just find that open-world PvP usually turns into gankfests, which wastes my already limited time.
- A guild that realizes WoW is just a game. (Yes, that’s a hard one.)
- A “leet guild.” I can’t really define this, but I’m interested in WoW for the challenge of the content, not necessarily the challenge of world/server firsts. (See “WoW is just a game.”)
- My MS cat/SMS bear/OS resto/SOS boomy druid. (Yep, I have sub-main and sub-offspecs, with gear for each…cept the boomy, and I’ve got enough EoT’s to equip a set if needed.) Full gems/chants/consumables/etc. are a given. I’m most knowledgeable about feral, am very good at resto, and…um….know where the Starfire and Wrath buttons are for boomy. :) Whatever the guild needs. I prize myself on being prepared and adaptable (hence the blog title). With the addons Talented and ActionBarSaver, I can port to Moonglade, retalent, assign buttons, holler up my Squire for consumables out of the bank, and be ready for any role in >2 minutes.
- A good attitude 90% of the time. (Hey, I’m realistic. Everyone has bad days.)
- My occasionally skewed sense of humor. (I would say take it or leave it…but it’s coming regardless.)
- More sass.
Hmm. I look back at that list, and really, I see nothing that would necessarily push me one direction or the other (to a 10-man or 25-man guild). Someone help me make up my mind. ;) Do I want cool toys and more complicated strategy or a more tightly-knit raiding group? (I also don’t want to be the guy that because he can’t make a raid makes everyone else cancel their plans…which seems to impact 10’s more than 25’s.)
(Note: FWIW, I’m looking now, but any actual raiding will have to wait until I get my stuff, in a month or so, hopefully sooner. *crosses fingers*) I can still do…umm…moral support?