Wow. Long time, no write. Blame the Army for filtering access to all the good websites at work and then making me, you know, work. :P (Just kidding, I love my job.)
Anyway, received several questions about what to use VP’s on. It’s really dependent on your current setup; if you have full T11 and your offset is one of chest/legs/hands, your decision is easy. However, if you have mix-and-match heroic pieces, things get a little more complicated. Use Rawr (or Mew for extra precision), either tool works well. I’m also assuming you’re in an average guild that is still working on Firelands normal modes and won’t have access to heroic gear for a good long while. (Depending on how to define your data set of guilds: if you use killing Shannox as a floor, the average raider is 3/7 or 4/7 at this point. If you define the floor as “killed all T11,” then the average raider is 2/7 or 3/7. FWIW, my guild just killed Beth’tilac for the first time after the hotfix.) Given those caveats:
- Chest: I would definitely get this first. This doesn’t drop off Occu’thar, so you have less chance of getting the sinking “damn I JUST paid VP for that” feeling. Either way, if you have 4pT11, don’t equip it until you get 2p of T12.
- Gloves/Legs: Once you get the chest, you DEFINITELY want to get 2pT12. (Yeah, it’s that good.) At this point, you’ll have to make a decision with pluses and minuses. The offset gloves and legs are both fairly accessible (Beth’tilac and Shannox, respectively). There’s a decent 365 hands item from Molten Front dailies, plus a 378 LW gloves pattern. However, the tier legs are probably the worst piece of the tier set, in comparison to the offset alternative. If your guild is killing Beth’tilac regularly (or will be soon), then go with the tier gloves. If you don’t care about the tiny minmaxing (~20 agi difference or so), then feel free to get the easier-to-obtain offset gloves instead. Either way, once you have 2pT12, you want to hang on to 2PT11 as long as possible, so don’t pick up the alternative piece immediately.
- Neck: Again, this depends on your speed. There’s a better neck that drops off Rag, but if it’s going to be a while, go ahead and buy the VP neck; no Molten Front option here.
- Bracers: Bracers are BoE, so if you have extra time reserves (to farm VP on an alt) or gold reserves (to buy them from someone else’s alt), then no VP investment
needed. Prices will fall dramatically the longer you wait, of course. Wrists also drop off Alysrazor.
- Ring: One ring drops off Beth’tilac, so we’re looking for options for the other slot. Best, of course, is the rep ring, but seeing as you only gain rep from boss kills once you hit Revered, it’s going to take a while. (275 rep each for first four, 440 each for last 3, 21k to get to exalted.) There’s two 365 rings available from the Molten Front (one requiring only one day’s worth of dailies to do), so it’s not a large upgrade.
- Relic: 365 relic is available from Molten Front, and upgrades for this slot are tiny anyway.
There was a couple interesting blue posts about ferals a few days ago:
Thanks for taking time to break your feedback down, Hotted. We’re keeping a close eye on Feral in PvP and understand the concern. Things currently on our radar include the Berserk duration, the Unheeded Warning trinket, and the Predatory Swiftness talent.
Let’s please not devolve too much into a discussion of “get your PvE/PvP balance out of my PvP/PvE game!” It’s just not beneficial to anyone.
That said, we’re happy with Feral performance in PvE overall. It we were to nerf Predatory Swiftness, it’d have a minor impact on PvE. Unheeded Warning is both a PvE and PvP problem. The particular mechanics of the trinket keep it disproportionately powerful for Feral druids. Nerfing Berserk would have PvE ramifications, but we’ll take steps overall to make sure your dps doesn’t drop in PvE. We do everything we can to ensure we’re considering all aspects of gameplay when approaching class balance.
Mostly, I see this as a tempest in a teapot that’ll blow over. It’s hard to get an objective read on the situation (forums discussing WoW arena play are quite possibly the most anti-objective data source I’ve ever seen). UW will probably get a nerf (they don’t want people using PvE trinks in PvP anyway). Pred Swiftness may get a CD, but that is likely something that wouldn’t go in until the next patch. I could also see PS being changed to a passive ability that consumes CP’s (ie you don’t get a finisher and a instant cast, one or the other.) I don’t see them changing Berserk at all; too much synergy with the set bonus to be making adjustments like that quickly. I’d have to run numbers, but I suspect that a nerf to Berserk duration might push 2pT11/2pT12 ahead of 4PT12 for PvE damage purposes.
Feel free to comment; I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. (On possible PvP changes or VP’s, take your pick.)