So a friend of mine was on the con floor when the power went out, and things went crazy for a while. One of the Blizzard guys ran off to see if he could fix the power, and left his laptop open with his email logged in! My friend, curious sort that he is, checked it out and couldn’t help but take a look when he saw the email titled “Draft HS: GvG patchnotes from meeting on the 3rd.” Some pretty crazy changes, IMO! I’ve transcribed this from the cellphone pics he sent me. -Ala
Guys, latest changes look good so far. Keep it up; remember, design goal for this go-around is to make sure a losing player always has some shot, no matter how narrow, to get back into the game. -BB
Goblins vs. Gnomes
- The new Goblins vs. Gnomes expansion set offers 120 new cards to add to your Hearthstone collection! Goblins vs. Gnomes cards can be purchased with gold or real money, or won from the Arena.
- Spectator Mode has been added!
- You can spectate by clicking the spectate button on your friends list when people are in the game. While playing, you can see who is watching you play! You can make your games invite only, if desired. You can spectate two players at the same time for Tournaments.
Hero Power Changes
- After an extensive review, we’re concerned that Hero Powers are making play too predictable. We want every turn in Hearthstone to feel like an adventure, not a chore. Therefore, we are introducing some mild randomness into Hero Powers.
- New Hero Powers
- Druid: Now reads “Choose One: +1 Attack this turn or +1 Armor. Has a 50% chance to proc Omen of Clarity, reducing Shapeshift’s mana cost to 0 next turn.”
- Hunter: Now reads “Deal 1 damage to the enemy hero. Has a 50% chance to proc Wild Quiver, allowing Steady Shot to be used again this turn for free.”
- Mage: Renamed to Arcane Blast. Now reads “Deal 1 damage. Arcane Blast has +1 damage and +100% mana cost next turn.”
- Paladin: Now reads “Give a random friendly minion 1/1 or summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit.”
- Priest: Now reads “Restores 1-3 Health to a friendly character.” Shadowform is unchanged.
- Rogue: Now reads “Equip a 1/2 Dagger or a 2/1 Sword.”
- Shaman: No change.
- Warlock: Now reads “Draw a card and take 2-4 damage. Cost reduced to 1 Mana if you have 15 or less health.”
- Warrior: Now reads “Grant 1-2 Armor to a random friendly character.”
- Harvest Golem, Damaged Golem, Mechanical Dragonling, Demolisher and Alarm-o-Bot now have the “Mech” subtype.
- Loatheb’s Battlecry now reads “Enemy spells cost (3) more next turn” (down from 5).
- The intent behind Loatheb was to force a choice between an expensive spell or a minion; however, its primary effect has tended to lock out enemy spells entirely for a turn, which is too powerful.
- The Slime summoned by Sludge Belcher is now a 1/1, Taunt (down from 1/2, Taunt).
- Sludge Belcher was too powerful for 5 mana, and was automatically included is almost every non-rush deck.
- Undertaker is now a 1/1 (down from 1/2).
- Undertaker was too difficult to remove in the early game, and saw too much play.
- Soulfire now reads “If you have no cards in your hand, take 2 damage. Deal 4 damage. Discard a random card.”
- Doomguard now reads: “Charge. Battlecry: If you have 0-1 cards in your hand, take 2 damage. Discard 2 random cards. ”
- Both Soulfire and Doomguard were designed around forcing the Warlock to pay a card cost for an above-cost spell or minion; however, it has become too easy to evade that cost.
- The Shop interface has been updated to include Goblins vs. Gnomes card packs.
- An additional gameboard is available for play.
- Additional music tracks have been added.
- Goblins vs. Gnomes cards can now be searched for using the term “GG” in the Collection Manager.
Bug Fixes and Miscellaneous Changes
- A confirmation dialog has been added to the “Concede” button. Players still having difficulty may enable “AOL-Mode Concedes” in the Options screen, which requires 3 button clicks, 2 authenticator codes, and a phone call.
- Additional anti-bot technology has been added to Hearthstone. If bot play is suspected (consistent turn times, illogical plays, choosing Shaman), the client may require you to solve a CAPTCHA before beginning play.
- Due to language concerns, a filter has been added to deck names. The client will no longer accept decks named with curse words, infectious diseases, or Kappa.
- The inadvertently-added GLaDOS card has been removed from the game. You monster.