Questions about key bindings and finger movements

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Jas161

Questions about key bindings and finger movements

Post by Jas161 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm new to feral, having leveled with boomkin/resto specs and for the last four years or so I've raided on my disc priest. On her, I use Clique/Grid and have about 20 spells/macros set up between Clique and various key bindings. If you haven't used Clique/Grid before, the mechanics are to press a combination of keys (like CTL-SHIFT) with your left hand and while holding those keys down, use your right hand to left or right click your mouse on the persons box in your grid (or click their unit frame) to cast the corresponding spell on them, which by default makes you sort of a 'hybrid-clicker'.

Unfortunately, now that this method is ingrained in me...I have become a clicker on my feral druid too. As a boomkin it wasn't too bad since I could stay still and cast by clicking the button. As feral, when I need to attack a target, I find myself using the Q-W-E keys with my left hand to strafe or move forward and steering with my right hand by holding down my left or right mouse button to 'fine-tune' my position. It's kind of a weird combination of steering with keys and the mouse at the same time, but as a healer it lets me heal and run at the same time. So, I run up to melee range, click or tab to the target and then click the button for the spell I want to cast. When the target moves, I have to maneuver around and then start clicking again. Clicking a button on the run is difficult since I also sometimes use my mouse to steer. I know this is a horrible way to play a melee class and I want to learn how to do it the proper way, but have never seen anyone describe the actual mechanics of it. With my priest I've been using Clique/Grid for so long, I don't even think about what I press and never even look at my keyboard...I just know what I want to cast and out pops the spell. I want to achieve that sort of muscle memory for my druid too.

For example, if you have a spell bound to SHIFT-R key and you want to approach the target and cast that spell...exactly 'how' do you do that while running and steering at the same time? What fingers do you use for which keys? What are you doing with the mouse in the mean time? How in the world do you steer and continue to cast when the tank is dragging the boss around? I had to sign on and actually watch what I did to describe it. I'm not asking for keybinding setups - I can do that part - I just can't figure out the finger movement/hand coordination part. I have normal keyboard and a mouse with 2 buttons on the thumb side and a wheel. I also have a Logitech G600 mouse that I tried to used, but it's a bit bulky for me (I'm only 5'4" and have small hands). It's currently a paper weight but I'm willing to try it again.

Any tips on how you guys do this would be greatly appreciated. I know there must be a better way than what I am doing.

Arnathis

Re: Questions about key bindings and finger movements

Post by Arnathis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm

On any of my dps characters I use my mouse for movement and my left hand for all my spells. I have strafes, auto run, back pedal, shapeshifts etc. all bound to my mouse. Pressing both right and left click together will run, left button by itself just moves the camera so if im auto running i can look around, right click held will turn/change my direction along with the camera. I've been a keyboard turner in the past and it doesn't even come close to the precision you get with the mouse, try it. You need to use that gaming mouse, give it 2-3 days and you'll be used to it, promise. You'll easily have room for everything and still be able to bind some important ranged spells to your mouse and use them with grid (brez, mark, HT). You won't even need modifiers!

Jaymzhendo

Post by Jaymzhendo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:17 pm

It really is all about practice. One thing I myself found that made it easier for me is that I rebound my movement keys so that my hands lay on the keyboard as if I was typing. So instead of A-S-D being movement, I have S-D-F (I sometimes tank and so I can't give up my backpedal ability). This did two things: First it allowed me to simply "type" my spells/actions, and second, it allowed me more keybinds within easy reach without having to use a lot of modifiers nor needing a massive gaming mouse (I also use a 5 button mouse as you described).

Just some tips, hope they help or at least lead you to ideas that might.

Steakbomb
Revered

Post by Steakbomb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 pm

I still use ASD for movement but I put all of my keybinds around ASD for ease of use.

1: Rake
2: Mangle
3: Shred
4: Rip
5: Bash
Q: No-shift HT macro
E: Ferocious Bite
R: Powershift Macro
F: Savage Roar

And then I use a Razer Naga(12 side buttons) for all of my other abilities/macros

baver
Honored

Post by baver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 am

Just bind every ability you think you will use and never click them, even if it feels realy bad in the start sooner or later you will be able to press the most awkward buttons :P.

myself kinda have to start using ctrl+button if they add more buttons becaouse it got so far that im using shift-h and shift-y and i cant go any longer with my fingers ^^

Jas161

Post by Jas161 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:52 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll plug the paper weight/G600 back in and start using it again. I like the idea of using S-D-F for movement mostly because the F key on my keyboard has a raised bar on the key so you can tell your fingers are positioned properly without having to look so that will be very helpful. I'll move those bindings right away. I don't have the turn-left or right bound to any keys - I am using the right mouse button to turn with and the two keyboard buttons to strafe with. The idea of all movement controlled from the mouse seems like it would work well, with your left hand free to use for all attacks. I'll have to experiment with that too.

So when you are attacking a mob and you have to run through him to the other side to avoid an ability, are you guys using your two mouse buttons together to move forward while continuing your rotation with your left hand on the keys? Or do you press the key to run forward while also pressing the keys for your rotation? Once on the other side of the boss, do you 'pivot' back around with the mouse?

I can't believe I have never tried feral before - this is so much fun, it's such an active play style with lots of abilities and CDs. So much more interesting than my priest. Thanks everyone, lots of practice ahead for me!

Steakbomb
Revered

Post by Steakbomb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:08 am

personally I changed my A and D keys to strafe instead of turn left/right so I just press those. Although I strafe back and forth a lot even on fights that don't require moving. Guess it's just habit from all the FPS games I played back in the day.

Sibylle
Revered

Post by Sibylle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I also have re-bound A and D to strafing, so Q and E are free for abilities.

I move with a combination of mouse + keyboard just like you, and I have my abilities keybound around the movement keys. Maybe it's because I play the piano, but I find it easy to move (using W) and at the same time, for example, Shred (E).

Most of my keybinds are very close and I use either just the key or shift+key, thus:

R = Savage Roar
Shift+E = Rake
E = Shred
F = Feral Faerie Fyre
Shift+D = Mangle
Shift+A = Rip
Shift+W = Ferocious Bite
Q = Healing Touch
Shift+Space = Wild Charge
Control+Space = HotW
C = Barkskin
Shift+C = Survival Instincts

These are the most important ones. You need to find ones which suit you.

As others have said, when you first start using your keybinds, it will feel VERY awkward. I recommend just starting with three of them - say, Rake, Mangle, Rip - and keep clicking the others for a while. You just won't be able to remember everything at once. Then add more, one by one, and keep practicing.

Give yourself at least a week to find your bearings. A month later you'll wonder how you ever managed that awkward clicking :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Steakbomb
Revered

Post by Steakbomb » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:37 pm

The best thing you can do is change a few keybinds and then run LFR, change a few more and run LFR again, etc....

I played strictly Bear for a very long time and only played kitty when I could. I went mainspec kitty at the start of Wrath because of the amount of tanks that was in my guild at the time. I took a break and came back bear and went kitty again at the end of last tier.

It was very hard to make the switch as far as keybinds and it felt super awkward to hit keybinds and I was clicking some of them at the start.

After changing keybinds around to make them easier to hit, it took a couple raid nights but I don't click anything anymore.

1 thing you can do to help is if you use a Bar addon, once you change some binds around, hide your bars and then sit on a target dummy until you feel like you have it down packed.

Force yourself to use keybinds for a week and at the end of the week, you won't know how you played without keybinds.

It was super awkward for me to change from a 4 button mouse to my Naga which has 12 side buttons and 2 more near left-click. For a few days I had the same things bound to my keyboard and my mouse and until I forced myself to use my mouse, I was still using my keyboard.

Now I have more things bound to my mouse than I do my keyboard.

Arnathis

Post by Arnathis » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:30 am

Jas161 wrote:So when you are attacking a mob and you have to run through him to the other side to avoid an ability, are you guys using your two mouse buttons together to move forward while continuing your rotation with your left hand on the keys? Or do you press the key to run forward while also pressing the keys for your rotation? Once on the other side of the boss, do you 'pivot' back around with the mouse?
The answer to your question is i use the mouse, for literally all movement. A good example of the versatility of this is in the following video of me on heroic ragnaros. During the parts where I'm running from one side of the platform to the other I'm strafing, auto running, avoiding the "world in flames" ability (platform sections igniting) and still maintaining my rotation on my target. You can also see how quick target switches and camera pivoting are during the part where i'm soaking up dreadflame in the last phase. Honestly nothing beats it, especially for a high paced playstyle like feral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VPGrgyYXM0

Helistar
Honored

Post by Helistar » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:27 pm

It probably depends on your keyboard/hand position,but I find Left Alt to be a lot easier to reach than Shift.
My keybinds for the first row are: ~12345 alt-~1234 t
In detail: ~ = TF, 1=mangle, 2=shred, 3=rake, 4=rip, 5=talent(stun/vortex)
Alt-~ situational ability which changes, Alt-1=SR, Alt-2=Swipe, Alt-3=FB, Alt-4=charge, T=healthstone)

Second row are function keys, with only F1-F4 on often-used abilities (f1 interrupt for example, f2=symbiosis, f3=berserk, f4=stampede)
I kept the original aswdeq for moving and strafing, but I have Alt-q as target focus.
then f=faerie fire, r=trinket
zxc are survival abilities (Ursoc/SI/Barkskin)

I keep the first finger for Alt or the survival line, and the 4th to 2nd finger for the abilities.

The other strange stuff is on Alt-W=Thrash, Alt-D=nourish on self/focus/target of target depending on the situation, Alt-E=Cenarion HoT talent thingy. Potion is either macroed somewhere or on a weird key so as not to cast it by accident.

I find it gives me access to almost anything without moving my hand at all, the only danger is alt-tab by mistake, but it only happened a few times at the beginning, now I cannot remember the last time I had the problem. It also helps killing the windows key, since it's worse than alt-tab....

cg1351
Honored

Post by cg1351 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 am

Pretty much what steak said, keybind a few at a time and then expand on your keybinds until all the extra action bars are completely full lol. I prefer using q e f r with shift and alt modifiers and then have most other things keybound to razer naga with shift and alt modifiers. It will feel weird at first and you'll missclick alot but it is really the only way to play at a high level especially in pvp. As for your question about clicking weird keybinds will wanting to strafe at the same time you'll learn to move your hand in weird ways to do both and if you cant just jump and do it whilst its moving in the direction you jumped (not sure if i do this my hand sort of does its own thing now you wont have to think about it at all eventually).

Samskeyti

Post by Samskeyti » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 am

I understand that my keybindings are a bit awkward and I'm struggling to find a last for skullbash, but using a Naga has considerably eased housing my spells.

1= Trash
2= Mangle
3= Rake
4=Shred
A= Savage Roar
R= Rip
F3= Charge
C, S, D, Q: forwards, backwards, strafing
E= learning this one, usually on enrage when I tank

And then mouse buttons I can't live without anymore: I even have the bartender grid as a side bar so I can swap spells around and know where they are, and basically just have the bar on my screen to quickly check if something is on cooldown etc/
1 2 3
Feral Swiftness/Healing Touch macro or Skullbash if I'm using HotW, Nature's Swiftness/healing Touch macro, Stampeding Roar
4 5 6
Tiger's Fury, Ferocious Bite, Swipe
7 8 9
Autorun, rest aren't used but I keep spells there such as symbiosis and The extra Action button
10 11 12
Random mount button, rest isn't used again (can't reach them comfortably anyway)

And then pressing the mousewheel is Faerie Fire.

Not the best but, it works for me. I use the mouse to run and turn and never use shift/control etc. combinations.

For tanking, it's quite similar though I admit I click all the spells on the bars with the mouse apart from the spells I have on the Naga... I can't play any other spec and class other than feral dps without just clicking everything...

Steakbomb
Revered

Post by Steakbomb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I rarely tank nowadays and last week I tanked a few heroics for a guild members alt and I hadn't messed with keybinds in a while. I had NS hotkeyed the same as my Savage Roar key and I kept spamming it between pulls on accident.

Qualiti

Post by Qualiti » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm left handed :(

ctrl+1,2,3,4,5,6
shift+1,2,3,4,5,6
q,e,z,x,c,f
ctrl+q,e,w,z,x,c
shift+q,e,w