SotF and FoN / UI Configurations

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Aerothane

SotF and FoN / UI Configurations

Post by Aerothane » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 pm

So I just have a few quick questions. With SotF and running a rune build I feel like I energy cap often even with shreds and thrashs which leads me to feel FoN is better with where I am at. This is assuming its a patchwerky fight with say 98% up time. However, my problem with FoN is literally I have no where to put it in a hitable position when my rune and HT proc. For example here is my button setup.
1). Shred
2). Mangle
3). Rake
4). Rip
5). FB
6). Healing Touch
7). Skull bash
8). Thrash (rebound to `)
9). Feral Charge (rebound to t)
0). Tiger's Fury (rebound to mouse wheel up)
-). Savage Roar (rebound to mouse wheel down)
=). Survival Instincts (rebound to mouse side button)

So what I've done because I've been incapable of finding anyway to put FoN in a useable spot is macro it to TF which is bad and I want to fix that, so what do you other ferals do to manage that?

Wellwow
Honored

Re: SotF and FoN / UI Configurations

Post by Wellwow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:48 pm

I bound my strafe keys to 'a' and 'd', which freed up 'q' and 'e' giving me two more easy to hit keys.

Aerothane

Post by Aerothane » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Right, but unless I am mistaken you can only rebind buttons 1 thru = to secondary things right? Everything else you have to click for don't you?

Wellwow
Honored

Post by Wellwow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by secondary things? If you rebind strafes to the turn keys, you'll have easy keys freed up without changing anything else. As a test, I was able to bind strafe left to 1, and bind the first position on the main action bar to 'A' but I may be missing the point of your question.

FWIW, some of my setup, and none of these are clicked:

main action bar (normally 1 through = ):
1 - FB
2 - rake
3 - rip
4 - swipe
5 - TF macro
6 - maim
7 - ravage
t - savage roar (I don't have '8' bound)
q - mangle (I don't have '9' bound)
e - shred (I don't have '0' bound)
- - dash
= - prowl

Some random other binds, on other action bars:
c - HT macro (won't take me out of form if in combat) (character pane is now shift-c)
alt-shift-r berserk macro
alt-shift-f healthstone
ctrl-2 SI
ctrl-3 symbiosis

Aerothane

Post by Aerothane » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:16 pm

I may have not communicated this very well but unless I misunderstand how rebinding keys works the only buttons that seem rebindable are the buttons my action bars, thus I have to click for everything else. Is this correct?

Wellwow
Honored

Post by Wellwow » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:31 pm

We have 120 action bar slots and all of those can be bound. Besides the main action bar (default 1 to = ), I have bound abilities on 6 other action bars. I think the default UI makes them all available, partially through Interface -> Action bars for 4 bars (48) and also through the way you can scroll through bars, but I forget how to do that. I use dominoes and can see them all. That should give you lots of bindings to use.

There are addons that can keybind without using an action bar. Bindpad is the one I use infrequently. For instance, I have a general macro in it for dismounting and it is bound to ctrl-button4. I don't have that macro on a bar anywhere.

Does that help? (I'm trying!)

Aerothane

Post by Aerothane » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:09 pm

I'll look into that addon thanks.

raffy
Exalted

Post by raffy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:49 pm

As a general statement: your choice of binds should correspond the priority/importance of each ability. Abilities that depend on precise timing and have high importance (that directly impact damage done) should be easily accessible (SR, Rake, Thrash, Rip, TF, HT.) Movement abilities like Charge, Skull Bash, Dash, and Stamp Roar should also be quickly accessible, but since they're all cooldowns, they don't need to be immediate binds. Berserk, FB, and Maim can be more awkward.

For my hand placement:
Spam binds: Mouse Buttons (don't impact WASD movement)
High-frequency binds: 2, 3, 4, q, r, x, c, f
Mid-frequency binds: `, 1, 5, t, g, v, z, Caps, Fkeys
Low-frequency binds: y, h, b, modifiers

Suggestions:
I'd bury Maim behind Mangle with a modifier.
I'd also bury FB behind SR with a modifier.
You can couple Ravage with Feral Charge.
I keep Cat Form, Shred, and Swipe on my mouse since they're all spam abilities (Cat Form for shapeshifting, Shred/Swipe for high-energy expenditures).

Defensive cooldowns are far more important than offensive cooldowns. Barkskin, SI, and MoU should all get better binds than Berserk (I use shift+T) however TF (since it's relatively high-frequency) should get a good bind (I use Q.)

Assuming your on Windows, you can use SharpKeys (or another registry editor) to rebind Caps Lock as another key. This key is accessible with your pinky. I use Caps for FoN (it used to be Nature's Swiftness). On my Monk, I use Caps for Roll since I can still access all of WASD (so its easy to directional-role.)

I also use Dominos for to hide a lot of actions. My UI is nothing special but I feel the buttons are arranged and bound appropriately.

xahn
Honored

Post by xahn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Aerothane wrote:I'll look into that addon thanks.
Just to clarify, you don't need an addon to bound everything, I just sensed from your second post that you think the main action bar is the only bar that can be keybinded, which is not the case, I keybind every ability on every action bar. when you hit "Esc" go to keybinding, you will see the main action bar at first, but if you scroll down all the way you will find the remaining of actionbars, the extra right, and extra top left, and extra top right, all of them can be key binded to whatever you want.

I've been playing since vanilla and do the same as wellwow with the strafe left being "a" and strafe right being "d" then I have alot of keys to use for binding, "q, e, r, t, g, f, c, x, z, y, h, b" <-- All of these keys are used for me, with shifts, and ctrl, so 3 set of bounds, for example instead of having "c" to open the character pane, i'd use "c" as an ability, and if I hit "shift + c" thats my character pane, you get the idea, same with bags, etc. and on the top numbers I only use up to 1,2,3,4,5 - and 6 for a cooldown. same with "y,h" cause they are far, I use them for a cooldown.

But you have to figure out whats best for you.
Stoppage @ 6.2 -- Waiting for new expansion.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... ahn/simple

Cetlysm
Honored

Post by Cetlysm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:47 pm

You could try mouse scroll button or the side button you use for SI, you could maybe consider changing SI somewhere else, in my experience I never use SI lightly which means I always have a plan for it, which means I never have to use it quickly, and its also a long CD for such a easy to reach key.

You could also try using one of those MMO mice, specifically the Corsair MMO mouse, similar to Naga except it doesn't break in 2 days and you can actually use it if you have big hands, and its also like... a real mouse, it doesn't have a stupid shape to accommodate for the extra keys.
ImageImage

athaw

Post by athaw » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:14 am

Currently I run the following:
1 - Wild Charge/SR, depending on if I have anything targeted and if that target is in range for charge and infront of me.
2 - Mangle
3 - Rake
4 - FB
5 - Shred
R - Swipe
6 - TF+Synapse Springs
E - Rip
T - Ursol's or Bash, depending on encounter.
F - !Prowl/Warstomp depending on if in combat, and if I'm on my horde toon. Prowl is used only when I'm at the moment not in combat and the exclamation-mark for being able to spam F without risking going back into nelf-form.
Warstomp is for when I'm in combat, AND on my tauren feral.
F2 - Smeld
F3 - SAVE ME RIGHT NOW-button. Uses literally every defensive cooldown I could possibly ever have to save me from imminent death, such as garrosh's annihalate, malkorok's breath, etc.
Alt-5 - SWIFTY ONESHOT, basically, this one is TF+Berserk+Synapse Springs.
Alt-6 - Skullbash
Alt-7 - Equip SP staff and use tranquility. ([4] in nelf-form is equip Agi polearm and into catform.)
Alt-8 - MoTW
alt-9 - Healthstone
And yes, I do have each indiviual defensive on its own button, like bark on Alt-3, SI on alt-4 and MoU on alt-9 (G600)
I do have more binds like alt-1-5, alt Q, Q, Z, X, V(Healing Touch) plus I have a logitech G600 so I have 24 more buttons to program to random shit like shift-alt-1, shift-control-9 or whatnot.

This is working pretty well for me, but I just only in november last year changed from clicker to binder. (I started playing WoW in late 5.3, late july. :P)