How large is the dps drop with Glyph of Savagery?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

ShmooDude
Exalted

Re: How large is the dps drop with Glyph of Savagery?

Post by ShmooDude » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:35 am

Tremnen wrote:I know it isnt effected but it saves you energy so you can multi moonfire more. On tectus our strat would have around 5 targets out at maximum. it gets really energy conscious to thrash, rake, and moonfire 5 targets and keep up SR.
That's what incarnation is for. :) I don't really see keeping SR and those at the same time as a problem as everything you listed there doesn't spend combo points. And you're going to want to spend your combo points anyhow (rip/fb so good!) and SR is actually the cheapest finisher. At best you get Rip on like one more target at the cost of ~7% damage on everything but moonfire, its just not worth it (imho).

Tinderhoof
Exalted

Post by Tinderhoof » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Helistar wrote:It would be interesting to compare the loss to the width of the DPS distribution. On my character, it's 15%... (+- 7.5%), making the loss from the glyph be completely invisible in a real raid setting.....

At times I'm wondering if Blizzard explicitly designs talents/glyphs to be close enough to be below the "noise", so that whatever your choice it'll be your gameplay/skill (personal player stat) which makes a difference instead of the talent choice (general info taken from websites).
In this case the glyph is explicitly supposed to be viable but sub optimal. When it was only 35% during the beta it came out to be better then SR and so they dropped it 5% more. If we show it to be actual neutral (which I don't think it is) they would likely drop it again.

Bysket

Post by Bysket » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:53 pm

How much of a dps loss is this glyph against an uptime of SR at 80% or less?

I know it's a dps loss, but currently I'm finding myself focusing more on mechanics rather than my up times and my SR is taking the biggest hit.

Tinderhoof
Exalted

Post by Tinderhoof » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:02 pm

If your SR uptime is really at 80% and you aren't off the boss for 20% of the time you will see some gains with Savagery. The down side is once you swap to that glyph it becomes VERY hard to try and do it the normal way again once you have mastered the mechanics.

Bysket

Post by Bysket » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I feel that I'm doing something horribly wrong, I've been tweaking the opener then transitioning into the rotation. My dps will plateau between 23 to 27k, but I fail to maintain the numbers. I'm not at home right now or I'd post some logs. I know if I pick it apart I'll find numerous things I'm doing wrong I just need to try harder and stop being mediocre lol

Twitchys
Honored

Post by Twitchys » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I'll be using a similar strategy as resto with the tier 75 talents. I'll take DoC while learning a fight to give me some extra breathing room on mana, then switch to other talents (NV) if I end up needing the increased throughput on high damage phases (so far mana's been the bigger issue so I haven't actually switched to NV for a kill, but once we get further into Heroic/Mythic I expect throughput will gain importance). I think glyph of Savagery could be useful in a similar way. Swap to it while learning a fight for a few attempts to get used to mechanics, then drop it once you learn what the fire looks like on that fight. Alternatively, if you practice your rotation more without the glyph, just on a dummy or in heroics, you will eventually be able to keep up the full rotation while paying attention to new mechanics.

Bysket

Post by Bysket » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I actually found the cause to one of the issues I was having. I still had Bitten's Spellflash enabled which while it's updated it does not fully support feral at the moment. Last night I downloaded and installed Ovale's which last night made an improvement. I'll look at the logs again but I believe I was averaging +90% up times which is a small victory for me. It's great it's sitting right in my field of vision so I can focus on mechanics while keeping track of the rotation!