Ovale vs Claw

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

teddabear
Revered

Ovale vs Claw

Post by teddabear » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:15 pm

How similar are these addons from a predictive standpoint? They both say they are based on Simc but I noticed Claw has a tendency to waste healing touch opportunities.

I have a feeling they are substantially different even though they both come from SimC but I'd like to confirm that before redoing my UI.

Jeshu
Revered

Re: Ovale vs Claw

Post by Jeshu » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:08 am

Speaking for Ovale, I can say that the SimulationCraft APL is almost exactly reproduced in the Ovale script for ferals.

Jeshu
Revered

Post by Jeshu » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:10 am

Your best bet is to run both addons and see the times when they disagree. That would point to flaws in one or the other and I'm sure either project would be happy to hear about bugs.

Leafkiller
Exalted

Post by Leafkiller » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 am

I have run both side by side and they are very close. Some of the timings in Claw have been slightly adjusted to make them more player tolerant - in areas where the dps difference is trivial. The biggest difference is in the presentation. I think that is a bigger factor in which one to use than the specific rotation in them. Simple question, which style of presentation best fits your style of play and makes you effective? I would use that criteria as the primary decision point.

Beanna
Honored

Post by Beanna » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:37 am

I used to be a big fan of Ovale back in LK when I was playing with Mihir/Leafkiller's scripts but since I returned for WoD I picked Claw because I don't like the boxes from Ovale's default script and I am not familiar enough with the code to edit it myself. Can't say which one provides best dps but for my taste Claw is the most readable one and closer to what Leafkiller's script looked like so I perform better with it.

ShmooDude
Exalted

Post by ShmooDude » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:38 pm

What is it you don't like about the layout? Personally, I find the current layout of the main icons far superior to the old one where it was basically all in one. By splitting out the short and long DPS cooldowns, it no longer blocks the DPS rotation with abilities that are off the GCD. Also, I tried merging those cooldown boxes but it really doesn't play well with incarnation if you ever want to save it so I quickly undid the change. I suppose TF could be merged back into the main icon without too much trouble since its used at low energy anyhow.

If you mean the small boxes at the side, look at the script I put in the leafkiller thread and see if that's more to your liking.

Beanna
Honored

Post by Beanna » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Well, that's only my personal taste but I'd like to remove the mouvement box on the left side to save some room on my screen and control the size of the prediction/cooldowns boxes to organize my field of vue in combat and prioritize informations.
Splitting cooldowns from the main box is fine as it lets you perform your rotation and save your cooldowns for a specific moment, I like that. The flickering bug on the other hand is pretty annoying in combat.

Overall I think Ovale provides more informations but I prefer the lighter look of Claw right now. With some visual tweaking I could go back to Ovale.

RareBeast
Honored

Post by RareBeast » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:40 am

I can use Ovale for all my alts - thats a winner right there :)