skull of war 3/3 vs scales of doom 670

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

kiste

skull of war 3/3 vs scales of doom 670

Post by kiste » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:52 am

Hey guys,

Im struggling right now to choose my 2nd trinket.right now im running ldsc with scales 670 but this comination sims around 800dps less then the skull of war 3/3, but is the sim close to a realfight?i mean 800 dps should be around 1 rppm trinket proc and ur above the sow dps.would be nice if i could get some insight here.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... e/advanced

aggixx
Exalted

Re: skull of war 3/3 vs scales of doom 670

Post by aggixx » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:56 am

800 DPS is a pretty large difference for one item, I would definitely do what it says. In addition if you're tracking Skull of War's ICD (you should be!) then you can game the proc far easier then you could ever game any RPPM trinket, especially since it lines up extremely well with Coin's CD.
ImageImage

Kuleezi

Post by Kuleezi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:15 am

aggixx wrote:tracking Skull of War's ICD (you should be!)
can you explain this?
First, how do I track the ICD of skull of war?
and second, should I be holding cooldowns for when this procs?

TheLOOGE
Honored

Post by TheLOOGE » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:52 am

First, how do I track the ICD of skull of war?
There are sundry cooldown trackers out there that will also track the ICDs of your trinkets. You can setup a Weak Aura to do it for you as well. Check out Pawkets Weak Aura setup (should be located toward the top of the Kitty DPS index page) if you want try that setup out.
and second, should I be holding cooldowns for when this procs?
That's the idea, yeah. You'll be able to "game" its proc in order to max what you get out of your cooldowns and trinkets/pots and the crit proc synergizes really well for us as you probably already know.

aggixx
Exalted

Post by aggixx » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:10 am

Woops, meant to say RPPM in my last post, fixed. Yeah you use an addon to tell you when its going to come off cooldown so you can plan your cooldowns around it. You always want to stack your cooldowns with as many procs and effects as possible while not losing usages in the fight's duration.

A lot of people use ExtraCD for this but I like to track it myself with WA like Looge mentioned, its not in my WA setup in the UI forums but you can get it here if you want. Its only setup for coin and Skull of War so if you're not using those (or even if you are) you probably want to use ExtraCD.
ImageImage

Jeshu
Revered

Post by Jeshu » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

I notice that the SimulationCraft feral APL doesn't do anything to try to line up CDs with the ICD of the LDSC. Is that something that you think will be implemented in the APL? I believe that SimulationCraft does allow for checking the ICD of a proc trinket, and Ovale can do it as well by tracking the time since a trinket's buff was most recently applied.

aggixx
Exalted

Post by aggixx » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 pm

In order to line up procs and CDs like that you need to have an accurate estimate of target time to die, and the time to die expression in SimC isn't accurate enough to facilitate it. If you tried to do such a thing you'd probably find it isn't a DPS gain which of course is not true in practice.
ImageImage

Nayni
Revered

Post by Nayni » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:38 pm

I pretty much plan on using Skull of War on fights like Butcher where it's 4mins so I'll be pooling up Coin aswell until my 2nd Incarnation. Making it so Skull of War will line up perfectly.

On fights like Margok I prefer using Scales of Doom since the fight is so long I'll gain more from RPPM procs then lining up trinket cooldowns.

In the end the difference is so minimal though it doesn't matter much at this point I guess
Naeyni | Kazzak EU