How's everyone feeling in BRF?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Grizzlebee

How's everyone feeling in BRF?

Post by Grizzlebee » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:32 pm

So my guild went 8/10H in the first few nights and I just wanted to give my initial thoughts and see how everyone else feels at the moment in Heroic.

Slagworks
Gruul- A single target fight with light movement. I felt really strong here.

Oregorger- Same as Gruul except my mobility helped me avoid getting run over. I kind of just ran from crate to crate and applying a rake and doing a few shreds so the melee running behind me could just burst it down easier.

Blast Furnace- I felt close to useless on this fight. All of the target swapping and AoE really left me energy starved without doing any significant AoE damage. I got the 2 piece later in the night so I will hopefully see some improvement next week. Some things that I did feel like I excelled on were bursting down Foremaster Felspar and the Primal Elementalists.

The Black Forge
Hans'gar & Franzok- I loved this fight, not only by the design but also by how well feral excels on a cleave and heavy mobility fight. We will do well on this fight but because one of the bosses heads up to the platform I stuck with Bloody Talons this week. I will try out Lunar Inspiration next week.

Flamebender Ka'graz- This fight is a bit like Brackenspore for us. We can cleave the wolves pretty well. Often times I was able to get a FB on a sub 25% wolf to refresh Rip before the cinder wolves swapped positions.

Kromog- A straight up single target fight with occasional adds (although you mainly focus on your own grasping hand). We will do ok on this fight.

Iron Assembly
Beastlord Darmac- Just like Ko'ragh and Imperator I felt like my burst AoE was non-existant. Since I now have the 2 piece I will probably just be using a Thrash for the additional damage and energy for single target but leaving the AoE to the Warriors and Enhancement shaman.

Operator Thogar- Unfortunately I got clipped by a train halfway through but I still was active a good portion of it. As with Beastlord and Blast Furnace, our lack of AoE will hurt us here.

Iron Maidens- While we did not kill this yet but we got them to sub 30%. At this point I had the 2 piece and I was trying to keep as many bleeds rolling as possible, I noticed a difference but it wasn't so big that it really stood out to me. The cleave and at times heavy movement is very good for us.

Blackhand's Crucible
Blackhand- We have not had any attempts on Blackhand yet.

Some 2 piece Math
Every 10% haste increases energy regen by 1 per second (Energy Per Second)
Rake Energy Returns: ~.33eps=~3.3% haste=~297 haste rating
Rip Energy Returns: .5eps=5% haste=450 haste rating
Thrash Energy Returns: ~.33eps=~3.3% haste=~297 haste rating

My final thoughts are that, even while the 2 piece helps, it will not at all solve the AoE situation which will become increasingly even more important when Mythic comes out.

How does everyone else feel about their performance in Blackrock Foundry?

aggixx
Exalted

Re: How's everyone feeling in BRF?

Post by aggixx » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Most of the heroic bosses fall over too quickly to actually feel like I've learned the encounter so to me none of it should be evaluated in terms of class balance.
ImageImage

Itharius
Honored

Post by Itharius » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:11 pm

I felt similar to OP. Gruul, Hanz and Franz, and Iron Maidens are our three best fights imo. Gruul because it's just stand still single target dps, Hanz and Franz because it's a heavy movement cleave fight, and Iron Maidens because it's a three target cleave fight (Lunar Inspiration heaven).

Operator Thogar sucks as feral druid, you could do more dps spamming nothing but starfall as a boomkin. Same with furnace. I know that's not our role, but it sucks being on the bottom of Skada.

2pc improved my energy regen noticeably on Iron Maidens. It really improves our energy regen on cleave fights, allowing us to have higher rake and rip uptimes. It's not really sufficient for aoe, since you never have the opportunity to thrash ten+ long lived targets.

Smoketreez

Post by Smoketreez » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Currently playing Balance on Beastlord Darmac, Operator Thogar, The Blast Furnace, Kromog; and most likely Iron Maidens + Blackhand due to my guild not having sufficient aoe classes. Not too thrilled about it but hey what can you do. It's basically to a point where I either play Balance or the boss doesn't get killed. :(

aggixx
Exalted

Post by aggixx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Not sure I would play Balance on Kromog, Feral's single target is still a pretty good asset on that fight especially since you can blink & cooldown through the Thundering Blows and stay on the boss. I would only Balance that fight if I felt our raid was really lacking burst AoE on the hands which seems... unlikely.
ImageImage

artsdruid

Post by artsdruid » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:35 pm

hi, i spent some time doing normal with my guild, we were 3/7mythic comming in this week, so on our off days (weekend late night guild) a lot of us came on to clear normal and pick up a few random upgrades and familiarize with fights.
I strictly played bear for it, but there were some fights that i felt would be somewhat annoying as feral, being blast furnace where i will probably just go bear for it just to spam thrash, Blackhand might not be too bad for feral since its mainly single target

Smoketreez

Post by Smoketreez » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 pm

aggixx wrote:Not sure I would play Balance on Kromog, Feral's single target is still a pretty good asset on that fight especially since you can blink & cooldown through the Thundering Blows and stay on the boss. I would only Balance that fight if I felt our raid was really lacking burst AoE on the hands which seems... unlikely.
We actually had no burst aoe for the adds apart from 2 warlocks and a hunter, sadly.

Here is our log for damage on hands for the fight, and we were pretty close to not making it a couple times

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nJ ... &target=85

Brutus

Post by Brutus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 pm

I'd stay Feral for Iron Maidens and Blackhand as well. I had the 2P by Iron Maidens and it makes a huge difference. You're able to easily keep all three fully Rip/Raked. As well there's a lot of movement on the main platform during the bomb phases which hurts the casters but doesn't really hurt you as melee.

I am considering going Starfallkin on the "waves of adds" bosses, though. :/

Itharius
Honored

Post by Itharius » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 am

I've been progressing on heroic Blackhand for a few days now, and feral is REALLY good for that fight. Our role is as pure single target damage on Blackhand -- we can easily have 100% uptime on the boss, and our self healing is great for all the aoe damage that's going out, I'm almost always the last one alive on each attempt. First phase I'm consistently top dps, second phase I fall to about the middle of the charts behind ranged cleave dps, and I'm sure that I'll climb my way back to the top of the charts on the third phase. Our berserk lines up really well with the pace of the encounter because p3 bloodlust expires at around the time you get your 6 minute berserk/incarnation for that final burst of dps. One of the few fights that makes me glad that I'm a kitty instead of a starfallkin.

DomGF
Honored

Post by DomGF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:54 am

How is BRF for me? Depressing. I tried to explain to guild how vital is to have 2pc for feral, haven't seen a single tier piece. Not to mention that every single roll that i have gotten bonus loot from has been crap. So I find myself in the bottom or low mid(not necessarily last) even in fights where I will actually outperform others. More than likely, wont see any tier till next week. Which pretty much makes me want to not open World of Warcraft till then, because I truly just feel like a lump in the back of my guild.
As for the bosses that we are really good at, its been mentioned before, the one where we will definitely enjoy the most is Blackhand, its a really fun fight plus you will feel useful (damage and ability wise)

Polihayse
Revered

Post by Polihayse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:45 am

Like poop.

Tremnen
Revered

Post by Tremnen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:01 am

I've started the switch and have been practicing it on trash. So far as feral I've felt like on some fights i can contribute a lot. Surprisingly on Iron Maidens I think feral is one of the better classes to send up on the boat group. Hold your onuse trinket (Beating heart in my case) and save beserk and incarnation for each boat trip (3 minutes between each one) and go ham. I top the dps for the boat group every single time. We have never been close to not meeting the dps check. This is especially true for Mar'ak's boat because we are so good at single target on the move and our off-healing is noticeable when you have to move as much as you do for Uk'urogg. Obviously you wont do as much damage and are never going to parse well but if you need to pick a spec to get the job done on the boat we are excellent for it.

On Blackhand we are also invaluable at least for now because we probably have the highest single target damage on the move. Its boring but we can sit on the boss really hard and in P3 we can soak the smash and get back to the boss instantly. That on top of our self healing is really nice because tons of damage is going out and we are one person the healers don't need to worry about.

Kromog feels terrible because we are so bad at doing damage to the hands but i have so far been topping boss damage in my raid. Being able to get knocked up and displacer is pretty sweet. If you are like me and dont like to displacer until you are heading down so you can sit in bear form to take less damage from the breath position yourself in the middle of the raid right before the knock up and you can bear thrash in the air and it will hit everyone below you (just be careful not to use a global right before you need to displacer beast or you will go splat.)

Blast furnace we are godawful until phase 3 when we become one of the best specs for the fight. I think we do earn a spot on that fight in the third phase. Our guild had one of the slowest phase 2 kills in the first week which shows that that fight is all about control, CC, interrupts, and priority management more than anything else until the burn that is the last phase.

Of course we are amazing on Gruul, oregorger, and Hanz and Franz. Maybe not top the meters in every raid 100% but we are worth bringing. Honestly I feel like even though I am sometimes on the bottom of the meters which feels really shitty i am doing more meaningful damage than people at the top of the meters. For Operator and Beastlord i think we struggle except for our single target boss damage which is good and necessary to keep the fight moving. I think I don't feel as bad about how I am doing because of just how good of an AoE comp our raid is so there isn't much room for padding between 2 fire mages, 3 Demo locks, a boomkin, a combat rogue, 2 unholy DKs, and an arms Warrior as they tend to blow up anything around us. Prot Pally does some DPS work as well.

Finally in my guild apparently I am worth bringing to Flame-bender because I can tank lol check out this log might be a world first Heroic Flame-bender with a feral tank no heart of the wild here lol.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bd ... 4false%241

DomGF
Honored

Post by DomGF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Tremnen wrote: Blast furnace we are godawful until phase 3 when we become one of the best specs for the fight. I think we do earn a spot on that fight in the third phase. Our guild had one of the slowest phase 2 kills in the first week which shows that that fight is all about control, CC, interrupts, and priority management more than anything else until the burn that is the last phase.
I honestly think that blast furnace idea that we become good in the last phase is nothing but an ilussion. The only reason we get ahead in single target is because everyrone else is trying to clean up the adds with their cleave. In my opinion, Blast furnace is the worse fight for us this tier until something changes. I imagine it as everyone going OH CRAP SPAM SPAM, and I am just minding my own bussiness hitting the boss and one or two adds like nothing is going on.
Train simulator can sort of fall into that same pattern, with us just focusing the 3 main targets while the raid is going nuts clearing the waves of low ones.

aggixx
Exalted

Post by aggixx » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:57 pm

Thogar seems like a less thinly-veiled Beastlord Darmac to me, there's a lot of adds but that doesn't change the fact that single target damage is still the most important. The main difference is that instead of being 1 target the whole fight there's 2-3 which we're still really good at.
ImageImage

Kiryela

Post by Kiryela » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:22 pm

[Heroic]I wasn't that excited going as feral to BRF and even talked to my raid leader that i could possibly change to boomkin if ferals weren't that good later on. But surprisingly we are decent. Okay we wont be on top meters in AoE fights like Thogar or Beastlord but we do alot of single target dmg, which is really important. And there's only 3 fights like that: Thogar, furnace, beastlord. And even on furnace we can easily top damage on the operators which need to die quickly, and we can just use berserk/incarnation to burst down one or two elementalists. In the elementalists that i would use my cooldowns he would die before his shield came back up, on the ones where i didn't have them he usually died in 2 attempts, and on Phase 3 we also do alot of damage. We wont really help with clearing up the security guards that lie around but single target is always needed.

Kojiyama
Revered

Post by Kojiyama » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 am

A ton of this just relies on your raid comp, really.

AoE is super-important on a lot of these fights, but there is a threshold where you have 'enough' and can control the mechanics and everything else is just splitting up the AoE damage among more players.

That said, if your raid has not hit that threshold, the lack of AoE can be a big issue. For instance, we have no Balance Druids and most of our AoE is melee-centric (Warriors/DK/Enhancement) and therefore I feel pretty compelled to go Balance for Beastlord. If I didn't go Balance, we would struggle with controlling the spears (small add would still melt from our melee) and it would be ultimately pretty detrimental for me to be topping single-target DPS if we keep wiping.

Also, since Balance is the most effective way to manage spears, single-target DPS on the boss is likely to increase across the raid since they don't have to use inefficient means to control it.

I think the same goes for Kromog. If your guild has the AoE damage to break people out of the hands quickly, it's no big deal. Doing great boss DPS is fine and will probably not be an issue. However, if you don't have a lot of people to do it, Balance is pretty crazy good on that fight for increasing your chances of overall success.

In general, I would say I feel 'OK' in BRF, but object to the notion that we are one of the few classes that can't help contribute to many mechanics on the fight. I will definitely go Balance for some fights even though I enjoy Feral more and have better Feral gear, though--which is a shame.