Good DPS?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Gabster

Good DPS?

Post by Gabster » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi!

Been struggling to find out what a good dps would be for something like, normal Highmaul for feral? I seem to be reading a mix of 12k to 30k is average in places :S

artsdruid

Re: Good DPS?

Post by artsdruid » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:20 pm

run your character through simcraft, can configure different types of fights. also go check out logs via warcraftlogs and compare to other people in your gear bracket. otherwise throwing random numbers out will accomplish nothing. Feral is strong single and 2-3 target is great too, anything more you soould still just focussing on being the best at what we do good at, if youre trying to be an aoe hero as feral your wrong.

Tremnen
Revered

Post by Tremnen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:12 am

no one is going to say 12K is good if you are in full 630 blues. The best way is to sim your character if you are feeling really lazy update your profile at wowprogress.com and let it give you a ball park sim (its a pretty terrible sim but its better than people looking at your gear and guessing) That sim is for single target btw.

Itharius
Honored

Post by Itharius » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 pm

The most important part of improving your feral dps is improving your savage roar and bloodtaloned bleed uptimes. Bleeds are ~ 40% of our dps, melee auto-attack is also a significant portion of our dps, and savage roar is +40% physical damage. Once you get those down, you're about 75% of the way towards optimal dps. The other 25% is mastering ferocious bite, which requires tracking your trinkets and mastering your opener.

Leafkiller
Exalted

Post by Leafkiller » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:39 pm

My raid team uploads our logs to Ask Mr. Robot. They have a cool feature that evaluates every players' dps in 4 ways - overall for everyone who has done a fight, how you compare to everyone else who has done a fight with the same spec, how you rank compared to everyone else who has done a fight with the same ilvl, and how you rank compared to everyone who has done a fight with the same ilvl and spec.

While it is subject to sample size and there are a lot of factors that will affect your overall dps that are out of your control (for example your dps will be considerably higher on a fight that lasts 6:20 than a fight that lasts 5:50 due to the extra berserk during execute phase) it is the best tool I have found to help you understand how you are doing compared to ferals with similar gear. You can learn a great deal from it because it is fight specific.

For example, I am very proficient at Patchwerk fights (which is not surprising because of the time I spent working on the Ovale script back in Cata which included a lot of time on training dummies making sure the rotation was playable) but my dps drops off on movement fights, especially when I am not comfortable with them. A few weeks ago I hit 99% on the ranking for Butcher compared to other ferals with the same ilvl. In the same raid I was at only 52% for Twin Ogron (again compared to other ferals with the same ilvl). Needless to say, I spent time the next week studying Twin Ogron to learn how to more efficiently dodge the fires (which actually benefitted the entire raid as there are some really good videos for that).

Kojiyama
Revered

Post by Kojiyama » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Yeah, the fight length issue is actually pretty massive for Ferals because Incarnation+Berserk DPS is so ridiculously high over their duration than any fight lengths that don't fall into the ideal cooldown period can swing your DPS pretty massively down even if you do nothing differently at all.

As a good example I experienced, for two back-to-back Butcher kills I had exactly the same gear. One week I did 33.7k DPS (which was 96th percentile) and the next I did 31.3k (87th)--so what was the difference? Well, the second one was in a PUG that had some lower DPS folks, so our kill time wasn't fantastic and it was 3m22s vs. 4m10s. Due to our cooldowns, you can see how the 3m 22s is pretty perfect while the 4m10s kill basically is just going to have an extra minute dragging my average DPS down.

I actually made some dumb mistakes toward the end of my higher DPS parse, but the length of the fight was enough to significantly offset them in terms of my final DPS figure.

So, always keep that in mind when comparing DPS.

To broadly answer your question, for Normal HM I would expect to be aiming for at least 18-19k DPS on most fights. That's around the 50th percentile (e.g. average) for Ferals in Normal. Higher is always better, though!

RareBeast
Honored

Post by RareBeast » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

I notice this massively with my ret pally guildie. Their CD's are 2 mins and ours are 3 mins. You can pretty much tell the length of the fight by which of us wins on the meters!