It's time

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Neonjoe

It's time

Post by Neonjoe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:54 pm

I'm not sure where this post is going to end up, but I know where it starts. I'm done with the game. I've been trying to find a guild that I enjoy raiding with ever since the end of Firelands when my guild Something Novel dissolved. That was the last time I truly enjoyed raiding in this game. I compare every content tier I've done and guild I've been in to that time, but nothing comes even close to the level of enjoyment I had playing the game then.

I've been playing Feral since they reworked the spec all the way back in Ulduar. I've enjoyed the spec more than any other in the game, and it has been trying at times. Blizzard has never really seemed to know what they want to do with the spec and it seems at times like it's a forgotten spec with how few players are playing it relative to nearly every other dps in the game. I've always felt like performing Feral to the heights of its potential was more difficult than any other role I had played in the game and I really enjoyed trying to maximize my performance every time out.

This expansion has been especially rough for feral, falling out of the single target monster role (though we're at least competitive again after 6.1) but being at the bottom of the aoe spectrum. I feel like the amount of effort I have to put in to be competitive with other classes is in no way rewarding and I'm tired of trying to justify myself worthy of a raid spot when really there are a lot of better options.

I've been playing the game since October of 2005 and my druid was the first character I ever made. It's something that I am sure that I will miss for a good amount of time, but it is just not enough fun anymore to justify playing the game over other activities. I wish you all the best of luck in the future.

I was never terribly active on this forum, though I've known the names of many players here for years. I remember competing on wowwebstats with the likes of Stenhaldi all the way back to Ulduar. I really do wish the game was more enjoyable for me right now, but I just can no longer justify playing something that doesn't give me joy.

I really hope Blizzard comes around and fixes the spec to be competitive on all levels for the sake of those here that are so passionate about the class and the playstyle. If you ever see a Neonjoe in another game down the road, it will most likely be me. Think fondly of me then, I will remember the good times!

smugler

Re: It's time

Post by smugler » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 pm

can we refrain from posting "I'm quitting the game for X reason" posts on a forum that is supposed to be somewhat constructive and informative
I agree with this, although I'm not sure what you mean by firelands being the best time for feral, I've enjoyed the spec on every patch, and am too been playing a druid since 2004 too used to be in US realms, not feral all the way, but yeah DRUID always. during MoP feral was fine too, and now after 6.1 specially I feel that we're back on spot of how we should be, I have just raided with my guild who are a very good players, and on fights that I should be top, I was top, we are never an AOE spec and I'm sure you know this, our niche is single target and I don't want more, true this raid tier has alot of AOE fights which will put us on the bottom, but an informative raid leader would know that you are still needed for this AOE fight because if he checks "Enemy damage taken" and goes to the boss name, you will be on TOP, which means your role of bring the boss down is very important, and if a guild can't see this, then I'm sorry they need to be informed.

True on AE boss fights you will be last on Overall current fight DMG, but as I said, check the boss himself damage taken and look at feral being the TOP, and this my friend makes you important. And I don't want to repeat, if the guild-leader don't know this, then I'm sorry.

RareBeast
Honored

Post by RareBeast » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:09 am

He didn't say Firelands was the best time for feral. He said he hasn't found raiding as enjoyable since then. Not just because of feral but because of the people he was raiding with. Some of my favorite raiding times were when ferals were not in a particularly good place but the team I was raiding with was a lot of fun.

Cya round Neonjoe

Neonjoe

Post by Neonjoe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:51 am

Rarebeast totally gets it. I didn't make this post to bitch about feral, I just made this post to say goodbye to a community I've been a part of for nearly 6 years. I remember the times when the EJ forums were the only place ferals had to communicate. I helped test some of the different designs for FeralbyNight (if you don't know what that is, you're not OG feral).

I've known many of the ferals that use these forums for a long time, and those are the people I will miss. The same thing goes for my enjoyment of the game, it's not that the class is less fun to play, it's that the game overall just can't compare because the groups of people I once played with are no longer together, and I can no longer devote the time necessary to play with a lot of the guilds out there.

This thread was in no way meant to be some shot at the state of feral, but the state of feral has contributed to some of my hardships with finding a welcome raid home. I don't know that you can find any top level guilds out there that are actively taking multiple ferals to a fight, even one is sometimes a stretch. I've been searching for a new home really since Firelands and this is me saying that the search defeated me. I've known Tinderhoof for many years now and I'm sure if he feels this thread is inappropriate he will lock it.

There really isn't another community out there quite like the feral one. It's such a small community and takes a different kind of player to really want to be a part of it. For the longest time we didn't even have our own spec, we were playing the same spec as bears with just a couple talent points shifted. It really took some guts to play feral back in the day as the class got even less attention than it does now. That's what made this community strong, the level of commitment from the individual players was always over the top.

Dysheki
Revered

Post by Dysheki » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:28 am

I completely understand what you mean. I've been fairly lucky with the guilds I've been in and I haven't really had much of a problem in that regard. However as soon as I wanted to go casual I ended up taking a short time away during siege. But I still wanted to play, just not 4 nights/week. So I took a chance on a 2 night/wk guild. Hated it. Couldn't stand it. Just not a fit. Went back to my guild and now I'm raiding 4 nights again. I'm honestly pretty exhausted anymore but it's either this or I will basically have to quit. Probably soon, but who knows when.

As to the negative comments, I really don't understand them. I appreciate neonjoe's time and thought he put into this post. He along with stenhaldi have been the few constants in the feral community dating back to wrath and I don't feel the negativity is warranted. It's not a whining post, I just don't read it that way.

Also a lot of greatness of the feral community is that it is a community. Our first thoughts shouldn't be dissecting a post but rather saying fairwell and whatnot.

Anyway, I never had much of a chance to really talk with you (I think one time I spoke with you in whispers for a short but) but thanks for helping push me in my early time as feral by looking over your logs and whatnot.

This post probably reads a bit disjointed and I could do better but well thought out posts are not done particularly well on phones :(

Qbear
Revered

Post by Qbear » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:04 am

Leaving this thread open for now out of respect for Neonjoe. If another admin wishes to close please do so.

I don't post often anymore but I do still come through to clean up bots/spammers and check to make sure topics are staying on point.

While it is true that this thread isn't the norm here out of respect to a great old school feral druid I just want to say that I understand where your coming from. Firelands was when it started to go downhill for me also. My guild fell apart to the wall that Heroic Rag created and while I'm still enjoying the time I put into the game nothing feels the same as raiding with my old guild and friends when we were top US 25.

Best of luck with whatever you decided to do. I was watching Aggixx's stream the other day and I saw he's also not a 100% happy with his situation (I apologize if I shouldn't of brought it up but hey you streamed it!) Just hope everyone can find their own happiness.

Tinderhoof
Exalted

Post by Tinderhoof » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:42 am

Neonjoe wrote:I've been trying to find a guild that I enjoy raiding with ever since the end of Firelands when my guild Something Novel dissolved.
I feel ya. Firelands was a rough time for me. Had 4 guilds fail on me in 3 months. I was right there with you when Something Novel fell apart. Remember the last night as we were messing around with feasts in front of Rag? In fact I think I still have the screen shots.

To the people who did nothing but complain on this thread I really feel you missed the point. Jumping on another community member who is waxing nostalgic IS what we try to stay away from here. Saying no body cares is not only false but rude and not worth it. If you don't like the content of someone's mail you can notify me or one of the other moderators or simply hit the report button and I can speak with you about your issue. Attack posts are bad mmmkay!

Joe it was good to raid with you man even if it was only a short time. I'm sorry the game isn't as fun as it used to be. I am lucky that I eventually found a stable place. I know who you raid with makes a big difference. Good luck to you!

Catbeard

Post by Catbeard » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:45 am

I don't agree with the whole, i'm quitting and here's why thread thing lol, but you have some good points about feral i guess. One thing i have wondered over the past like 7-8 years is if anyone at blizzard actually plays a feral druid. Every time they change anything its like they cant decide exactly what direction to go in. I've always enjoyed the difficult rotation , and there were a few tiers where it actually rewarded you for doing it correctly. However they have consistently added arbitrarily difficult mechanics into the spec over and over, then changed them, changed them back, merged them with other spells, etc. One small example is healing touch for bloodtalons. I think its great we get predatory swiftness and we can instant cast it, but having to do so in the middle of a dps rotation constantly has never felt right. It isnt difficult at all, and it just sort of adds one extra thing we have to prioritize, but from a game design perspective there has to be far better options that would feel more fluid and enjoyable. I've never played a ww monk, but every person ive talked to that plays one says they think its the most enjoyable melee class to play, at least from a gameplay perspective, and its probably because blizzard put a little bit of thought into the spec and how it should flow together. Meanwhile we have been stuck casting healing touch before finishers since like.. i cant even remember when it was, ulduar? Weve always been an under represented class, and lately it is indeed difficult to get into a good guild. You arent rewarded for the skill cap of feral as much as you used to be, to be blunt other classes can hit 2-3 buttons and do more damage than us.

Im not quitting any time soon, and the recent buffs help. but i do hope that ferals get seriously looked at soon, if for nothing else than to improve the enjoyment of the spec, but it would be nice to actually be a desired spec that brings a lot to a raid again.

Sibylle
Revered

Post by Sibylle » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:07 am

Thanks for your contribution to the feral community, neonjoe. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you lately. Finding a good guild to raid with can be a pain; I'm lucky that after several disappointments, I've found a marvellous community with raiding just on my skill level.

Good luck in your next games!
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

TheLOOGE
Honored

Post by TheLOOGE » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:29 am

My apologies. Nine times out of ten, when a post begins with:
Neonjoe wrote:I'm not sure where this post is going to end up, but I know where it starts. I'm done with the game.
Typically the rest kind of reads the same. You read this stuff all the time when someone doesn't get what they want out of the spec or the spec takes a nerf, "GG FERL SUX NAO, UNSUBBING." Not suggesting that's the nature of Neonjoe's post here, but like I said, when you read posts like this so often, it all kind of blends together and it's like, "Sigh. Okay. Quit then. See ya in a few months."

Sorry for being obtuse. Like I said earlier though, good luck in your journey. See ya in a few months ;)...

aggixx
Exalted

Post by aggixx » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Qbear wrote:I was watching Aggixx's stream the other day and I saw he's also not a 100% happy with his situation (I apologize if I shouldn't of brought it up but hey you streamed it!) Just hope everyone can find their own happiness.
I had a Qbear in my chat and didn't even know it? *gasp*

And I suppose I should've posted this earlier: there's nothing wrong with this thread as long as Neonjoe isn't straight up whining, which he isn't. If you don't care then don't post, if nobody cares it will sink to the bottom of the forums never to be seen again. Bumping it to be rude isn't doing you or anyone else favors.
ImageImage