Artifact Weapon - Fangs of Ashamane

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Elamari
Honored

Artifact Weapon - Fangs of Ashamane

Post by Elamari » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Feral Druid artifact weapon has been revealed and..... it's a pair of daggers? So Ferals are dual wielding now?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19950403/

Guardians also go some fist weapons so it looks like dual wielding will be a guardian / feral thing. Any initial thoughts on how this will work for us mechanically? Will they combine the weapon dps values for an average or will we get a complete redesign so we are no longer linked to weapon dps?
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

File under Feral - http://fileunderferal.wordpress.com/

Minibubble
Honored

Re: Artifact Weapon - Fangs of Ashamane

Post by Minibubble » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Afaik it doesn't matter since we don't change the weapons, they will be staying until the end of the Expansion. We will get however gemlike Stones, with stats on them, that we can put it in the socket. So i guess it will not change, and the Daggers just fits the lore. Also i would welcome the idea of dual wielding, similar to Monks, since the daggers fits the Feral and Dagger drops are mostly useless when dropped in a Rogueless Raid.

aggixx
Exalted

Post by aggixx » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Probably just use the average of the two weapons DPS like Monks do, but Minibubble's right that it probably doesn't matter. They could just have it use the MH DPS and completely ignore the off-hand if they don't intend for us to dual-wield after this expansion as long as there's no way to end up with different item level artifacts.

The more interesting question, I think, is not how the weapon's stats are incorporated but rather if we will change to DW white hits instead of the current 1s swing timer. It could potentially have some interesting implications on how Omen of Clarity is handled (in terms of both design as well as how we use it in the rotation).
ImageImage

Sibylle
Revered

Post by Sibylle » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Anyone else think this a bit of a weird decision? Why should we dual wield? Furry rogues?

I don't know, I like the concept of "fangs" but daggers... I'm finding it hard to picture my non-shapeshifted druid with them (Tinderhoof made a point on Twitter that Tauren will look ridiculous with daggers, and that's true, but my druid is a Troll and I still can't get behind the idea... hm).
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Acornbrain

Post by Acornbrain » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Always thought that dual-wielding made sense for feral especially since (a) some NPC druids do so; (b) putting fist weapons over our claws to increase our damage just seems right. Daggers, I don't know, but assume Blizz's thinking is dagger = fang.

Tinderhoof
Exalted

Post by Tinderhoof » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:19 pm

From what have been able to see so far is the "daggers" are aesthetic only. We wont be Dual Welding.

Kojiyama
Revered

Post by Kojiyama » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:26 am

Always wished Druids could dual-wield, but I have to say that after all these years it is a little strange!

(I assume it's just going to be a single-slot artifact though with those visuals?)

Asashdor

Post by Asashdor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:42 am

At Gamescom we saw an early version of the artifact UI for frost death knights: Two swords but everything combined into one UI (so I guess one item). From that it seems pretty obvious to me that we will only get a single weapon slot and dual wielding is just cosmetic for all classes/specs.
That way Blizzard could essentially remove dual wielding for everyone and simplify the damage formulas for dual wielding classes while keeping the animations. We'll probably get more info on this at the game systems panel though.

I'd have to agree though, dual wielding daggers is a bit weird, especially for tauren.
But the more important question is: Can we transmog them? And if so, can we transmog our daggers to staffs/polearms then?

Zstriker
Honored

Post by Zstriker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:53 am

also was dreaming to have dual wield, always had disappointed feeling when there fists/daggers drops, and while thier weapon slot was white and you can equip them, it was always not worth using them
for current look of them wish they were real claws, like Bear's artifact, or atleast they look like so gaint bone claw, not like Zul'gurub daggers/1hswords
I'm pleased anyway, so much druid lore with whole druidic zone

DomGF
Honored

Post by DomGF » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:48 pm

I HOPE that moving forward when we replace the artifact weapon with some green item in the next expansion, this model carries on.
Ferals/Guardians should be using fists weapons/daggers and not just some random off hand, no, we should be dual wielding as we have seen it countless times in druids in the past. If they want to build up the fantasy as they say of each class, thats one thing right there!

Kojiyama
Revered

Post by Kojiyama » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah, honestly it's always (e.g. even since vanilla!) been really odd to me that there are all these agility fist weapons and daggers... and we want agility weapons... and can use fist weapons and daggers... but can't use agility fist weapons and daggers! :P

AsgardFM
Honored

Post by AsgardFM » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 pm

DomGF wrote:I HOPE that moving forward when we replace the artifact weapon with some green item in the next expansion, this model carries on.
Ferals/Guardians should be using fists weapons/daggers and not just some random off hand, no, we should be dual wielding as we have seen it countless times in druids in the past. If they want to build up the fantasy as they say of each class, thats one thing right there!
I have hope that they'll carry it forwards. It seems silly to create these models then lose them completely. Firecat is a good example, we got the seeds and the pouch (not yet convinced it exists though!).
It seems an odd time to change us to Fist/Daggers in a DW capacity after the Druids of the Claw (WC3) were running around with..well, claw weapons. I'd have loved them to have made that change sooner. All the time collecting Staff/Polearm models is now right out of the window if we're down to daggers.

Bysket

Post by Bysket » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Personally, I am excited to finally see artifact weapons come into play. However, I'm afraid it will be like all the other "legendary" items. Replaced quickly within the following expansion. It was said that these weapons will grow as your character grows, so I hope they continue to do so. It would be amazing if they treated the other legendary items in the same manner.

AsgardFM
Honored

Post by AsgardFM » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:53 pm

While it would be interesting to carry around the Artifacts forever, I think it would cause more problems in the long run. It already looks like a substantial 'tree' of choices and adding a second expansion on top would start it rolling towards a Path of Exile talent panel (below).

An exaggeration perhaps, but the sentiment remains.

I can see them turning a few of the best Artifact bonuses into baseline abilities in the future but don't think I'd want them to do more.

Terias
Honored

Post by Terias » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:09 pm

If people really like the artifact weapons progression they can always implement new artifact weapons for future expansions - or even reuse it as base for a new character growth system.

They're said we'll be dumping the weapons for sure at some point though.

Bysket

Post by Bysket » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:51 pm

This is what I think when I think of legendary items and an artifact item, we are "heroes" credited for saving Azeroth numerous times against unimaginable foes. These items should gain strength as we do, not be replaced by a random drop from a random creature we defeat upon the path to further glory. It's awesome that these items were introduced, but disheartening for all that hard work to be quickly replaced once we enter a new dungeon or complete some new quest.