Ferals in Legion

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

LordCookies

Ferals in Legion

Post by LordCookies » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:05 am

Hey everyone! :)

Is it worth playing my Feral in Legion?

I mainly want to Raid and Progress with my Guild for Cutting Edge, so I was wondering if Ferals would be able to be useful to my Guild or if I should just roll an Enhancement Shaman (who seem to do much better in terms of DPS).

I love my class and know the ins and outs of it, but obviously I'd prefer to be useful to my Guild.

People who played in Alpha/Beta, what do you think?

Thanks in advance! :)

Rayen
Honored

Re: Ferals in Legion

Post by Rayen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:25 am

By Cutting Edge so you mean clearing the tier in a timely manor or working for something like server/world first?

Twitchys
Honored

Post by Twitchys » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Either way, I think the consensus is that it's looking like feral is likely to be in a similar position to where it was in WoD, pending tuning. There have been some positive changes that do give us more choice, but many of the core weaknesses of the class (weak aoe performance, haste scaling, add burst) are still present, if less so than currently. There's still a fair amount of time for numbers tuning to happen, and (crosses finger) maybe even small mechanical changes that could put us in a solid spot. If you're not wed to feral though, other melee specs currently seem to be in a more robust position and would be lower risk if you want to commit now. I can't comment directly on what other melee classes are in good/bad spots (being a druid is more important to me than being melee), but I'm sure others on this forum are watching that closely.

My suggestion would be to wait until the Legion pre-patch and reevaluate then, as at least then mechanics are essentially final, barring massive issues. That's the position I'm planning on taking (although for me it's choosing between druid specs, not other classes).

Rayen
Honored

Post by Rayen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:08 pm

In recent raid testing we did murder boomkin on damage so there's always that going for us at the moment. Tuning can change things.

Wait till the pre-patch to select your class. Even then some are heavily gimped without their artifact weapon.

LordCookies

Post by LordCookies » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Rayen wrote:By Cutting Edge so you mean clearing the tier in a timely manor or working for something like server/world first?

It's kind of complicated, we want to do it server first but we also want to do it in a timely manor.

teddabear
Revered

Post by teddabear » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 pm

In my opinion Feral has mechanics issues that can't be fixed with tuning, so for Feral to be equally desirable they would have to be tuned higher than other specs. I think that is very unlikely.

Aliandren

Post by Aliandren » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:33 am

Any idea if stat weight order is going to change (outside removal of multi)?

I know it's too early for actual weights but if haste is suddenly going to be better than mastery I might need to stop vendoring haste items.

Rayen
Honored

Post by Rayen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Aliandren wrote:Any idea if stat weight order is going to change (outside removal of multi)?

I know it's too early for actual weights but if haste is suddenly going to be better than mastery I might need to stop vendoring haste items.
On beta haste is still crap. Vert is still more of an impact than haste.

As for our 'DPS' tuning-Feral was crushing balance on most of the raid boss testing.

Rayen
Honored

Post by Rayen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:00 pm

LordCookies wrote:
Rayen wrote:By Cutting Edge so you mean clearing the tier in a timely manor or working for something like server/world first?

It's kind of complicated, we want to do it server first but we also want to do it in a timely manor.

Wait until Pre-patch or even the first week into patch to make your choice. A lot of specs *must* have their artifact weapon to perform decently.

Feral's damage is there once you have the gear. Balance is very lackluster and sub-par at the moment. Some specs still need to be brought in line. There is not enough information to really make a solid choice yet.

Even with that being said- I'm not switching to another class.

Polihayse
Revered

Post by Polihayse » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:18 pm

My guess is that feral is basically going to be in the same place they were in WoD. However, they probably learned from WoD that they need to be more on top of the feral scaling issue, so maybe they will give more attention to it than usually and it will be better suited for progression than it was in WoD. Basically, when it comes to viability, if you were okay with how WoD feral performed, then you will almost certainly be satisfied with how Legion feral performs.

Gameplay is a different question though. I have an issue with the current playstyle of feral in Legion. I'm not going to be playing feral in Legion. I'll be playing windwalker instead since the decision is up to my guild and not me. I don't think I would play feral if it was up to me though. I would probably want to play enhancement shaman with a windwalker or demon hunter alt.

Ehrenfailed
Honored

Post by Ehrenfailed » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Polihayse wrote:I'm not going to be playing feral in Legion. I'll be playing windwalker instead since the decision is up to my guild and not me.
Phew dude, that's sad. A lot of ferals are rerolling these days, including myself. Since my guild is not hardcore progress they would let me play my feral...but for the same reasons you mentioned I will go for enhancement shaman. To me it's the very underwhelming gameplay...it just felt not fun, new SR is a pain in the arse...while with enhancement (even though it's clearly not the most complex playstyle) I had SO much fun. I just can't force myself to go through all that disappointing moments again that I had especially at the beginning of WOD.

But I still have a little hope left that they will change something before release, which will make feral gameplay more satisfying again.

Istaro
Honored

Post by Istaro » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Polihayse wrote:Basically, when it comes to viability, if you were okay with how WoD feral performed, then you will almost certainly be satisfied with how Legion feral performs.
I hope you're right :? I thought our raid desirability in WoD was bad but barely tolerable, but everything seems to me to be pointing to that getting worse, due to 1) the melee/ranged problem getting worse as a result of lots of people playing DH, 2) us losing what felt like our two saving graces in the form of decent self/off-healing and Stampeding Roar, and 3) worse than average artifact traits and legendaries.

LordCookies

Post by LordCookies » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Istaro wrote: 2) us losing what felt like our two saving graces in the form of decent self/off-healing and Stampeding Roar
Wasn't it only Resto losing Stampeding Roar?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate it. I don't want to stop playing Feral but with so many people telling me that I could be an amazing player with a proper DPS class on my hands it just feels hard to make a choice.

LordCookies

Post by LordCookies » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Rayen wrote:Even with that being said- I'm not switching to another class.
I'm curious, what makes you stick with Feral with such passion? :)

Tinderhoof
Exalted

Post by Tinderhoof » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:48 pm

LordCookies wrote:Wasn't it only Resto losing Stampeding Roar?
Resto and Boomkin lost it. We lost the glyph which means it's radius is only 10 yards, which extremely reduces it's usefulness.

LordCookies

Post by LordCookies » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:53 am

Tinderhoof wrote:Resto and Boomkin lost it. We lost the glyph which means it's radius is only 10 yards, which extremely reduces it's usefulness.
But it's still useful when all melee are stacked up, so it's not all that bad I suppose.

gardnermk

Post by gardnermk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:13 pm

LordCookies wrote:I'm curious, what makes you stick with Feral with such passion? :)
The love for the class/spec. Just love the idea of being a shapeshifting individual that can turn into a cat like beast. And I am a firm believer that if you want to be good at something you have to stick with it.

Polihayse
Revered

Post by Polihayse » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:45 pm

Playing other classes is probably one of the main reasons why I lost interest in feral. If you dont want to lose interest, then stay away from other specs. Feral has changed so much over the years. If you initially explored the specs in the game and determined that feral had the most fun playstyle for you, chances are that there is now a playstyle that you would enjoy more.

Rayen
Honored

Post by Rayen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 pm

LordCookies wrote:
Rayen wrote:Even with that being said- I'm not switching to another class.
I'm curious, what makes you stick with Feral with such passion? :)
I can't really explain it - it's just a drive, a passion. It's the spec I love.

I wasn't even that into the game that much until I found this spec. Oddly it's the reason I try to play every day and push myself to the limit when in a raid. I just feel like I'm giving my team 120% of myself when I raid on the Feral because I want to-not because I have to.

Even with Feral's ups and downs over the years and raid tiers nothing draws in as a damage dealer more than Feral. Not topping the damage meters or getting the most interrupts, etc.

This is also coming from a person who primary plays Agi classes as well. I don't mind my Rogue but at the end of the day it isn't my Kitty.

Polihayse
Revered

Post by Polihayse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Don't lie. You just want to be a cat.

Cylint

Post by Cylint » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:
LordCookies wrote:Wasn't it only Resto losing Stampeding Roar?
Resto and Boomkin lost it. We lost the glyph which means it's radius is only 10 yards, which extremely reduces it's usefulness.

We did loose the glyph, however i assume that most ferals are going to go with Balance affinity, that will give all of our spells/abilities (yes even melee) an additional 5 yards.

Guardians are going to have the strongest Roar however.

Kittyhype

Post by Kittyhype » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 am

Hey mates,
first of all, I really love my Feral and I dont wanna reroll and I dont do it:3
Then I had played Legion since the Alpha but theres a few things I dont know if Blizz want this so or just forgot them:
The Ferocious Bite on liveserver had an dobble crit chance on bleeding targets.. so why not on Alpha/Beta? I really feel sad about it:3

Then how can it be, that shred does the most dmg? even close to a 5pkt + 50energy Ferocious Bite??

and last but not least.. Blizz are u sure u want that Rip (5pkt+SR+BT) does 119k CRIT ticks?
and in the artefact the secound trait which copy ur rip (119k ticks)
I mean.. WOW I really hope there will be changed somethings but actually the playstyle feels more then a Warrior then a Bleedbased Feral:/

Im sry for my bad english btw:3

Kraineth
Revered

Post by Kraineth » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Double Crit chance on FB was removed for good reason. We are already at disgustingly high crit levels in pre-raid gear.

Shred being our highest damage source is probably the best thing to happen for viability in a long time. We can apply meaningful damage to priority targets now.

The spec feels exactly the same, you are just worried too much on the damage breakdown, which doesn't change the way the spec feels.

ShmooDude
Exalted

Post by ShmooDude » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Kraineth wrote:Double Crit chance on FB was removed for good reason. We are already at disgustingly high crit levels in pre-raid gear.
How much out of curiousity? I pretty much just hit 110 on beta so don't really have the ilvl yet. I think they removed it more to lower the value of crit as a secondary but could be wrong.

I'm just sad that the FB artifact trait hasn't been changed since the removal of the double crit chance. 15% crit damage sucks when everything else is straight up 15% damage (or 15% crit chance for Shred). Should be doubled or made to affect all FB damage.

Kittyhype

Post by Kittyhype » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:32 am

i wanna know who want to play feral in legion because I saw much people here they wanna reroll to other classes and i wanna understand why:3
feral is a class that not that much people play, because it have a higher skillcap then other classes and its not that popular that mages are and not so strong:/ but its okay and in my opinion.
Im better for a Raid then a person who reroll to a high dps class just for doing dmg
I would be apprechate if u write me some reasons why u reroll to other classes when feral seems great in legion