Relics

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Oronare
Honored

Relics

Post by Oronare » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:49 am

So have there been any changes? Icyveins says Rip relics are still top tier, but from what I've seen so far rake is doing an absolutely obscene amount of my damage.

Got a rake one in now because of that, and because it gives a lot more item level than the other rip one I had (to get into heroics faster for the gear)

Twitchys
Honored

Re: Relics

Post by Twitchys » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:56 pm

I think most sims (simc, AMR) and guides agree that Rip is still the optimal affix for your relics, and there have not been any additional tuning changes since those guides were finalized. That said, iLvl will almost always win, at least between 2 dps-affecting affixes. It might also be worth keeping in mind that when solo or in instances, rake is much more powerful due to short lived mobs and multidotting, so for heroics/questing (maybe Mythic dungs?), I would expect Rake to be better. The general recommendations are for raid boss dps usually.

Konungr
Exalted

Post by Konungr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:05 pm

I believe the reason Rip is the optimal choice even though Rake is hitting harder at the moment is because of both the Blood in the Water mechanic (FB refresh) and the Ashamane's Bite which will duplicate Rip, so the more damage it does, the better.

Oronare
Honored

Post by Oronare » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah I am not at the Rip artefact talent yet, so it will probably change when I get it, still got one more point to go before I unlock it.

Will keep my higher ilevel rake ones for now, just to keep being able to get into heroics, and once ashamane's rip is unlocked/I have two good ilevel rip relics i will swap back.

Cantor (Shredable)
Honored

Post by Cantor (Shredable) » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:45 am

Once you get to a maxed-out artefact, you're looking at:
  • Razor Fangs (Rip damage) relics, which are worth 10 item levels over;
    Tear the Flesh (Rake damage) / Ashamane's Energy (TF energy return) relics, which are worth a further 10 item levels over;
    Feral Instinct (Berserk damage) / Feral Power (Shred crit chance), which are worth 5 item levels over any other relic.

Istaro
Honored

Post by Istaro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:27 pm

Cantor (Shredable) wrote:
  • Razor Fangs (Rip damage) relics, which are worth 10 item levels over;
    Tear the Flesh (Rake damage) / Ashamane's Energy (TF energy return) relics, which are worth a further 10 item levels over;
    Feral Instinct (Berserk damage) / Feral Power (Shred crit chance), which are worth 5 item levels over any other relic.
Does "further" mean that a Rip relic is worth +10 ilvl (relative to one not on your list) whereas a Rake or TF relic is worth +20 ilvl? Maybe I'm misreading.

Cantor (Shredable)
Honored

Post by Cantor (Shredable) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:25 am

Other way around - in order, Rip relics are most important, followed by Rake/TF, followed by Berserk/Shred.

Istaro
Honored

Post by Istaro » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:33 am

Ah, ok. For example, a +20 ilvl rip relic ≈ a +30 ilvl rake/TF relic ≈ a +40 ilvl berserk/shred relic ≈ a +45 ilvl swipe/FB/HT(?) relic?

Cantor (Shredable)
Honored

Post by Cantor (Shredable) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 am

Exactly. You can see the detail in Wordup's guide on Icy Veins: http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/feral-drui ... nts-relics

Istaro
Honored

Post by Istaro » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Ah, got it, thanks!

Sniken

Post by Sniken » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Is it Relic ilvl or ilvl on your weapon we are talking about?
Got a 840 Rip Relic today but i already have a 850 Shred relic in that slot, is it still an upgrade?
Got a 845 Survival Instincts Relic aswell who is not used in a slot when i got a 825 Berserk relic, will the ilvl win there aswell?

Solushunz

Post by Solushunz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:51 am

Icy Veins makes it seem like ilvl doesn't matter at all - is this correct? I have an 845 Rake relic that I could replace an 830 Rip relic, but I'm not sure if it's worth for the weapon damage and small increase to passive stats, even though Rake does hit hard. Similarly, I could replace an 840 Swipe relic with an 825 Rake relic and lose weapon ilvl in place for more bleed damage - is that worth?

Cantor (Shredable)
Honored

Post by Cantor (Shredable) » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:21 am

Solushunz wrote:Icy Veins makes it seem like ilvl doesn't matter at all - is this correct? I have an 845 Rake relic that I could replace an 830 Rip relic, but I'm not sure if it's worth for the weapon damage and small increase to passive stats, even though Rake does hit hard. Similarly, I could replace an 840 Swipe relic with an 825 Rake relic and lose weapon ilvl in place for more bleed damage - is that worth?
The 845 Rake relic will be better than the 830 Rip relic (the Rip relic is worth approx. 10 ilevels over the Rake relic, but the Rake relic has 15 ilevels over the Rip relic); your 840 Swipe relic is also still going to be superior to the 825 Rake relic - Rake relics are worth about 15 item levels over most others (excl. Rip / Feral Instinct / Feral Power / Ashamane's Energy), but your Swipe relic is 15 ilevels ahead, so it would be at best a sidegrade.

Istaro
Honored

Post by Istaro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I thought those numbers were in terms of the "+X Item Levels" tooltip lines that appear on relics, but it looks like they're in terms of the ilvls of the relics themselves.

ShmooDude
Exalted

Post by ShmooDude » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Istaro wrote:Ah, thanks for the clarification, I thought those numbers were in terms of the "+X Item Levels" tooltip lines that appear on relics, but it looks like they're in terms of the ilvls of the relics themselves.
Yeah, was what I was wondering, because 825 -> 830 is 1 weapon ilvl, which seems pretty small. Can anyone confirm?

Pekah

Post by Pekah » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:32 am

What about stacking relics...

Should i use only RIP Relics? Or:

Rip
Rake
Tiger´s Fury?

Istaro
Honored

Post by Istaro » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 am

Pekah wrote:What about stacking relics...

Should i use only RIP Relics? Or:

Rip
Rake
Tiger´s Fury?
They definitely stack, so if Rip is the best, then it's the best whether none, one, or both of the other slots already contain Rip relics.

That is, as far as I can see, there are no multiplicative interactions between relics (well, maybe a tiny bit for AoE between TF and Swipe relics when using Predator, but . . . yeah I know that's a stretch), so there are no advantages to using different ones. If you get three high-ilvl Rip ones, go you.

Guiltyas

Post by Guiltyas » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:09 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

A note. The IV guide is xan's not wordups. and his numbers are in his own guide as well

stacking relics is fine

Baes

Post by Baes » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 am

I am currently seeing on discord bits and pieces about stacking three rip relics. Any idea why rip? why not rake? Will the bonus damage will multiply by 3 then with 3 rip relics? I hope someone can clear the confusion, thank you!

Konungr
Exalted

Post by Konungr » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 am

Baes wrote:I am currently seeing on discord bits and pieces about stacking three rip relics. Any idea why rip? why not rake? Will the bonus damage will multiply by 3 then with 3 rip relics? I hope someone can clear the confusion, thank you!
Each Rip relic increases the damage of Rip by 7%, and with the Ashamane's Bite trait of the Artifact weapon, that has a chance to duplicate Rip, giving it the highest possible damage is the highest dps gain. Keep in mind that stacking Rip relics is ideal for long term single target damage, i.e. Raid bosses, but not so much for other content. For instance, fights don't last quite long enough in dungeons or solo content to get much use out of the Ashamane's Bite trait, so having a spread of relics isn't bad either.

Baes

Post by Baes » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:35 am

Konungr wrote:
Baes wrote:I am currently seeing on discord bits and pieces about stacking three rip relics. Any idea why rip? why not rake? Will the bonus damage will multiply by 3 then with 3 rip relics? I hope someone can clear the confusion, thank you!
Each Rip relic increases the damage of Rip by 7%, and with the Ashamane's Bite trait of the Artifact weapon, that has a chance to duplicate Rip, giving it the highest possible damage is the highest dps gain. Keep in mind that stacking Rip relics is ideal for long term single target damage, i.e. Raid bosses, but not so much for other content. For instance, fights don't last quite long enough in dungeons or solo content to get much use out of the Ashamane's Bite trait, so having a spread of relics isn't bad either.
Thank you!