Shadow Thrash / AOE issues

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Kennz

Shadow Thrash / AOE issues

Post by Kennz » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi All,

I wanted to discuss a little about Shadow Thrash talent that the artifact gives us. I recently acquired that "Golden" trait in hopes of improving my aoe for mythic+ runs but to my dismay shadow thrash is complete garbage and waste of AP. It barely procs, and does laughable damage. The 25% chance is extremely low even at 5-6 mobs. I was unable to understand why would Blizzard give us such a lack luster golden trait. Also I cant understand why Blizzard can not fix feral aoe damage. It certainly is a very obvious problem.
If Blizzard wants classes to have a niche then why doesnt it suggests what content is suited for which spec and not let a certain spec be allowed in that content. No matter what you do, swipe spam with thrash or multi dotting damage is extremely bad. Brutal Slash doesnt solves the problem either because of the cd and loss of BT.
What are your thoughts?

Oronare
Honored

Re: Shadow Thrash / AOE issues

Post by Oronare » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:06 pm

My thoughts are that feral aoe sucks and Shadow Thrash is indeed a total waste of time.

A much better one would've been to have Thrash automatically apply rake to the targets, this would also maybe switch up the single target rotation to weave in thrashes as well and it actually may be too strong, but something LIKE that would've been better.

Kittyhype

Post by Kittyhype » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 am

I dont know why ur crying about the shadowtrash, it is really strong in big aoe fights. Maybe u use it wrong or in too less targets its really strong in more then 4 mobs but really weak agains lower targets.. and much too expensive to use it against single target without clarityproccs
Against 1-3 targets ill rake everything and get rip on max 2 targets
On more then 3 targets I try to get rake on maintarget, trash then costreduced swipe and trash again allways watching that savage roar doesnt fall off.

Nich
Honored

Post by Nich » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:33 am

Shadowthrash - with the legendary wrists - hits quite hard. When luck favours me, I will cast thrash as soon as the shadowtrash damage stops, and for 4-5 in a row it'll proc back to back. When luck hates me, 10 casts, no proc.

From memory thrash/shadowtrash were nerfed by around 75% before Legion went live. The bracers buff it by 75%. I wonder if the class is balanced around that kind of bonus? :\

My aoe rotation for big packs is basically thrash, swipe until the discount buff expires, and then maybe one more swipe if I'm not at 5cc. If SR is low, that, BT for next thrash. If SR is fine, slowly spread rip throughout higher health targets.

Batlecruiser
Honored

Post by Batlecruiser » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:12 am

About legendary wrists: 75% or 25% dmg bonus? Sometimes it says 25% and sometimes 75%..

And does wrists buff shadow trash, too?

ShmooDude
Exalted

Post by ShmooDude » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 pm

75% in cat, 25% in bear. Or something like that (might be feral/guardian).

Tinderhoof
Exalted

Post by Tinderhoof » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:14 pm

There was a huge nerf to both proc frequency and damage shortly before pre patch. Prior Shadow Thrash was out of control good. Sadly it was a big over nerf. That is why all of the guides all say to pick it as the last golden trait. It only gives occasional damage boosts, and just not something you can fish for.

Nich
Honored

Post by Nich » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Batlecruiser wrote:About legendary wrists: 75% or 25% dmg bonus? Sometimes it says 25% and sometimes 75%..

And does wrists buff shadow trash, too?
75% damage, 75% range. With Balance affinity, swipe is 13 yards, thrash is 23 yards. This makes it large enough to pull extra packs of trash if you're not really really really careful on positioning.

The shadow thrash damage is based on thrash damage. So it's boosted, and boosted again by BT and SR and TF.

Terias
Honored

Post by Terias » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:03 am

I find the biggest issue with shadow thrash isn't even it's low damage, it's that most of the time it hits nothing because it's range isn't boosted by anything and it's a tiny static pulse based where you drop it.

If it had an equal range to thrash it would go a long way to making it useful.

Nich
Honored

Post by Nich » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:10 am

Huh. Will have to test that out tomorrow - I assumed the purple circle graphic was like the ashamane's frenzy graphic, where it's just an animation and not related to the actual spell.

Terias
Honored

Post by Terias » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:40 am

Went and tested for you, and you are right, it's just a visual. Seems to have thrashes full range where you drop it and I've been stupidly running into the center of packs trying to get the visual to land on them.

Sorry about that!