Switching Relics in SimC

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Tyyr

Switching Relics in SimC

Post by Tyyr » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Howdy folks,

Curious if anyone's been toying with this much? I found this document on how (it's near the bottom):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pW5 ... 4c/preview

But if I go to wowhead, the relic I want to sub in is not listed (Shrieking Bloodstone, but ilvl 870 not 865). How do I come up with the correct number if it's not listed on wowhead. Also have an 860 corrupted knot from an M+ last night I'd like to try, can't find that one listed either.

The other question I have, is how do I manually downgrade the ilvl of my Fangs if I'm downgrading the ilvl on my equipped relic. Have an 860 rip relic that I'm debating as a replacement for an 885 swipe relic.

tks

ShmooDude
Exalted

Re: Switching Relics in SimC

Post by ShmooDude » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:27 pm

If the item versions thing isn't working, try and find a similarly sourced relic (ie corrupted knot is a dungeon drop, use a different dungeon dropped relic that IS working) and use that one's item version to get the bonus ids. I had the same problem with corrupted knot when I tried to sim it.

Winterstar

Post by Winterstar » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:27 am

Try the addon simbuilder- it was specifically built to help with relic simming without having to equip the relic first.

A raid mate built it over my frustration, lulz.

Ayleena
Honored

Post by Ayleena » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:48 pm

I don't know about simming, but I realized that relics were kind of the new piece of the puzzle that wasn't being addressed as far as gear priorities, so as part of my gear calculator spreadsheet, I added weapon dps (currently at .74) and built a very large table of what artifact weapon stats are at increasing ilevels. This was a big task as I had no way to determine this other than to go through feral's armories and find higher and higher ilevel weapons. I then compared relics based on what the ilevel increase would be, and the perceived ilevel increase of the various trait abilities the relics provide. For example:

If I have a 43 bonus Tiger's Fury relic on my weapon, and the weapon is at ilevel 884:

Upgrading it to the 48 bonus version would simply be +5 ilevels.

Upgrading it to the 40 bonus Rip relic would be minus 3 ilevels, but then added 10 ilevels back for the difference in the trait rankings (15 vs 25).

In this way you can actually see where the simple ilevel bonus may outstrip the trait ranking of your relic. The stats tend to go up at increasing rates as your weapon goes up in ilevel, so that target decreases with increasing ilevels. I don't know the exact numbers on this yet.

Wellwow
Honored

Post by Wellwow » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:13 pm

That simming document was very helpful today. I got an 890 +swipe relic last night that could replace my 855 +rip relic. Knowing that swipe is worthless and rip is king and queen, did the +35 ilevels make using the 890 a gain? I sim myself every week but I didn't know how to swap out relics until going through that.

Turns out, the answer was no, the 890 is not worth using. It was a 3k DPS loss.

Ayleena
Honored

Post by Ayleena » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:42 pm

That seems about right. The important number on the relic is not the ilevel of the relic, but the ilevel it gives your weapon. I think the difference in ilevel there between an 855 and an 890 is 11 , which is pretty significant, but then the Rip trait is valued at +25 and the swipe at 0, so that is a net of -14. So not going to help you. Now if it was a Rake or TF relic, you would be in the money.

Tyyr

Post by Tyyr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks all!

Bralek

Post by Bralek » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:36 pm

It is the item level of the relic itself that matters, not by how much it increases your artefact (http://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/xa ... Legion.pdf)