DPS on Ultraxion in DS

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Aun

DPS on Ultraxion in DS

Post by Aun » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok, I have finally progressed to ultraxion and its a bit harder then lfr, it seems to be a dps race to beat the enrage. But my dps plummeted on this boss to around 18k dps, i havnt been on the bottom of the charts for a while (thanks to this site :D ) and this was quite a dissappointment. I know that the combination of reforging haste instead of hit and not being able to use shred is a bad combination for my dps, but I didnt think it could drop me from 23k to 18k. I was just wondering if there is a certain rotation/glyphs/anything else i should be doing for frontal fights.

I also wanted to ask about bear dps on this fight. I know there is a seprate thing for bear questions, but kitty issues seem to get much more attention then the other specs here, so I wanted to make sure my question was seen. I never worried about my bear dps because, well, I was tank and its not my job to do lots of dps. But on this fight, I am pulling a very sad 11k dps at best as off tank and I have absolutly no idea how to improve my cuddly bears dps.

Thank you in advance for any help on eather of these questions ;)

p.s. i am kitty ms and bear os and here is my wow armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... Aun/simple with my kitty gear on

Konungr
Exalted

Re: DPS on Ultraxion in DS

Post by Konungr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Are you doing 10 man or 25 man. If you are doing 10 man, it is quite possible you are missing a crucial buff that was present on the LFR.

Aun

Post by Aun » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:29 pm

we are doing 10 man. I dont really know what you mean by me missing a crucial buff though, i would think that even without the buff, i would do more then 18k

Leafkiller
Exalted

Post by Leafkiller » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:18 pm

My dps has been a little higher on LFR. I wonder if the boss has less armor on LFR. The difference was closer to 10% though and not 20%, but there is a decided difference in raid buffs between 10 and 25 man.

When you say you are dropping to 18k from 23k, are you referring to doing the same fight in LFR vs. 10 man or are you referring to 23k as being your standard dps?

My best recommendation for checking your rotation is to get my Ovale script, and toggle off the "Shred for fillers" option. That will put you in a mangle only rotation. You can then test it on a training dummy and compare to what you have been doing.

Also, did you swap GoMangle for GoBloodletting?

Aun

Post by Aun » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Ok, I will try that. And, do you have some advice about higher bear dps, I was hoping one of u guys would know what to do, or would know where to direct me? I know how to tank as a bear and all that, I just don't know how to increase my dps as a bear.

Thanks

Konungr
Exalted

Post by Konungr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 am

Aun wrote:Ok, I will try that. And, do you have some advice about higher bear dps, I was hoping one of u guys would know what to do, or would know where to direct me? I know how to tank as a bear and all that, I just don't know how to increase my dps as a bear.

Thanks

Use Maul a LOT and go Cat Form any chance you get.

Qbear
Revered

Post by Qbear » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:11 am

bear dps is increased by taking what people refer to as threat stats via hit/exp soft capping (26 exp rating)

I mean the difference in your 10m dps vs 25 could be such a large number of things.

One of the factors could be the amount of times you ate hour of twilight because on lfr it doesn't matter to how many times you randomly got fading light.

Plus the biggest factor to personal dps has always been about fight time. Ultraxion is a bad example since most fights tend to end near the 6minute mark; however, when did u use berserk in the lfr vs your normal raid. If your berserk ended just as the boss died in lfr I could see that generating some higher numbers.

Floofles
Honored

Post by Floofles » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:34 am

It sounds super obvious but you'd be surprised how many people manage to fail miserably at it, but you really should be doing at least something every GCD as a bear, if you are mauling too much to the point that you can't use a few GCDs, monitor your rage more. Usually this wont occur when you aren't tanking, in which case 90% of the time you'd be switching to cat and pretending to DPS.

EDIT: or you could reroll warrior, it really is a one size fits all solution

Toro
Honored

Post by Toro » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Aun wrote:Ok, I will try that. And, do you have some advice about higher bear dps, I was hoping one of u guys would know what to do, or would know where to direct me? I know how to tank as a bear and all that, I just don't know how to increase my dps as a bear.

Thanks

Well, my rank has gone down on Ultraxion to 54 (finally got Kiril, so I should be able to overwrite that next week ~_*), but I still do the bear deeps pretty well; I'll give the little tips I can:

.1) So I never miss a chance, I have Enrage macro'd into Mangle,
.2) Berserk as you engage (with pre-pot) and use second pot with second Berserk (not with BL as your haste scaling is basically $h17),
.3) I have a Power Aura for Fading Light and proc my /use ExtraActionButton1 macro at 1-2s before Fading Light fades, and last but not least
.4) Do your best to be the "main" tank. We roll with myself and a pally as tanks; they start with mana, shouldn't be bad for them to just unload as they can, but being rage starved kills your dps, so always do what you can to be taking the brunt of it all.

Remember that taunt lasts 3s on the target, so keep that in mind when watching your debuff from enterring the dark realm, as youc an generate 0 threat, and when it says 3s left, taunt the boss to keep the most uptime you can as taking the brunt. This also means that cat form isn't much of an option, but I was pullin 25k dps with an weapon a tier behind, so I'm not fearing too much about the cat form thing, though it would theoretically be a dps increase (I use Glyph of Rip in my tanking spec because I often switch to cat for more damage), but how we do that fight, I don't have time to do such things.

Edit: For reference, I'm in a 25man guild.
It's 106 mile to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses... hit it!