EDIT2: After Maintenance, it was apparently hotfixed to have only mobs that grant experience drop charms. This will make charm farming much more difficult, if you haven’t done so already. If you’re not looking forward to grinding, buy necklaces off the AH ASAP (price will most assuredly rise now). Thanks evan!
EDIT: Big change that I missed at first…the Love Fool no longer has 5 charges, so you’ll need 5 this year. Unsure if this is intended or not, but this will significantly increase the number of Tokens you need.
There are 16 achievements for this holiday, of which 12 are part of the meta, Fool For Love, which is required for What A Long, Strange Trip It’s Been. With Lunar Festival coming up next week, you don’t want to dawdle. Let’s get your charm(s) on.
Setting the Mood (Introduction)
Before you go rushing off, let’s explain how the holiday works. The primary thing you’ll need are Love Tokens, of which you’ll need 100 or so to complete the meta, or more for the optional achievements. Love Tokens can be acquired three ways:
- Two basic dailies, available from any major city. The first is immediately available, requires spraying 10 friendly NPC’s or players, and is very fast and easy. Rewards 5 Love Tokens. The second, Crushing the Crown, is only unlocked once you complete the Uncommon Scents questline (very short and easy, starts in SW/Org) and requires you to go to a certain area and kill a few easy mobs (varies based on level, lvl 75+ version is right outside Dal in Crystalsong). This is easy except for the fact that the spawn area will be COMPLETELY camped. Those of you on PvP servers may wish to pass up this daily. Also rewards 5 Love Tokens.
- A turn-in daily in each major city to that city’s faction leader. (so can be done 4x per day, once per city). Requires 1 Lovely Charm Bracelet (see 3), rewards 5 Love Tokens. You have to do this at least once in each city for the achievement, so be prepared.
- Finally, green or better mobs will randomly drop Lovely Charms on death if you have a Lovely Charm Collector’s Kit, available near the daily questgiver. (Unlike most everything else in the game, Lovely Charms are automatically added to your inventory if they drop and you’re eligible to loot them.). EDIT: As Kae and Keeva have pointed out, you have to get a killing blow to be eligible to get a charm, so healers are slightly disadvantaged for this. 10 Charms can be combined into 1 Lovely Charm Bracelet. The best use of Bracelets is to complete #2 (above), but if you’re pressed for time, 1 Bracelet can be turned in for 1 Love Token. You have to create 12 Bracelets for an achievement, so start farming! :) It’s actually quite easy..you can expect to get ~10 charms per heroic run if you’re still aiming for badges. If you just want to farm them fast, form a raid with someone and head to Ulduar 10…grab a demolisher or bike and start wiping out the dwarves that constantly respawn. I did this last night and had about 200 charms in ~20 minutes. (Tip: Charms stack in 10’s, which sucks, but Bracelets do NOT stack at all…so don’t combine them till you’re done.) If you can’t get in Ulduar for whatever reason, good alternatives are the Bombardment/Battle dailies in Icecrown or the chaingun in the mausoleum in Dragonblight (may need to be sub-80 for this one.) Edit: If you missed out on this, it’s been hotfixed to be only mobs that grant experience…no more free ride. However, it has also been hotfixed to drop to anyone in a group, so healers are no longer (overly) screwed. Another good strategy: If you have a leveling alt that you don’t care about getting the achievements on, have them pick up a charm kit and just quest away. My new pally picked up a kit at level 5, ran through all the Draenei starter quests (Azure Watch/Blood Watch) and ended up with about 200 charms that I mailed to my main.
There’s also a new boss that spawns in Shadowfang Keep which drops some ilvl 226 necks (just reskins of the EoC ones) and some fun vanity stuff, so check that out if you’re into that. Needed for a few non-meta achievements.
Quick and Dirty… (Checklist)
- Go to SW/Org and complete the questline that starts with “Uncommon Scents.”
- Get 120 Lovely Charms and convert them into Bracelets. (See #3 above.) (Charming)
- Find a group (or just solo, if you can) for UK/OK/HoS to get the Bouquet. Drops from Keleseth/Taldaram/Maiden, respectively. (My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose)
- Get 60+ 100+ Love Tokens, or 100+ 140+ if trying for optional achievements. It’s best to start early on this, as you can get 30 per day easily via the dailies (See #1 and #2 above), and you need to do them all at least once anyway. You can still do it if you wait until the last minute, but it’ll take quite a bit more grinding. (Dangerous Love, Nation of Adoration)
- Buy 10 Silver Shafted Arrows and 3×5 Handfuls of Rose Petals and start looking for the race/class combos you need. Dal’s generally your best bet. Shoot random players while looking. (Fistful of Love, Shafted!)
- Buy Bags of Candies, open and eat until you get all 8. (Be Mine!) I’m 99% sure these are tradable, so it may be to your benefit to find someone else who needs the achievement as well. It appeared to me, though, that there were 4-5 common candies, 2-3 uncommon ones, and 1 rare one (that took me 6 bags to get).
- Buy 10 Love Rockets, fire them. (The Rocket’s Pink Glare)
- Buy some alcohol (enough to get completely smashed) and some perfume…head to IF/UC and use all three, then /kiss the relevant NPC. (Flirt with Disaster)
- Find a friend/guildy. (This may be hard for some people…gold helps :))
- Buy a Box of Chocolates and a Romantic Picnic Basket. Open the Box…if you have bad luck and don’t get all four, buy another. Go to Dal, use the picnic basket, get your friend to sit down with you at it (you need to have the buff) and eat one of each chocolate. (Lonely?, Sweet Tooth)
- Buy 5 Love Fools…use the Love Fool and /pity in the 5 specified locations. EDIT: This is a big change from last year that I missed at first, where one had 5 charges. Thanks Timezombie. (I Pitied the Fool) To get into Naxx, group with your friend and create a raid (you can do it right when you zone in, no need to kill anything). You’re done for the meta! (Fool for Love)
- (optional) Get more tokens and buy a Silver Shafted Arrow (Perma-Peddle) and Lovely Dress Boxes until you get a Lovely Black Dress (Lovely Luck is on Your Side).
- (optional) Kill the Apothecary Trio in SFK (Tough Love). This can be done once per day per character. If you’re VERY “lucky”, you might win the Big Love Rocket! (Big Love Rocket).
…Or Slow and Tender (Achievement Details)
Requirement: Eat the eight “Bag of Candies” heart candies listed below.
How to Complete: Bags of Candies can be bought from the merchant for 2 Tokens, and have 10 random candies in them. Unless your luck is good, you’ll have to buy 2 or 3 (or 5 or 6…grrr) to find all eight at least once. (I believe they’re also tradable.)
Requirement: Create 12 Lovely Charm Bracelets.
How to Complete: Create 12 Lovely Charm Bracelets. :) See #3 above.
Requirement: Assist the Steamwheedle Cartel in stopping the sinister Crown Chemical Co. plot.
How to Complete: Complete the Crushing the Crown daily quest at least once. See #1 above.
Fistful of Love
Requirement: Use a Handful of Rose Petals on 11 different race/class combinations.
How to Complete: You can buy 5x Handfuls from a merchant for 2 Tokens. (Annoying, since there’s 11 combinations, so you’ll need 6 Tokens…you do need a handful for the next achievement, though, so save at least one.) Then, you just have to find them. Good luck with the Troll Rogue.
Flirt With Disaster
Requirement: Get completely smashed, put on your best perfume, throw a handful of rose petals on Jeremiah Payson or Sraaz and then kiss him. You’ll regret it in the morning.
How to Complete: Get some alcohol from an Innkeeper (or use your Brewfest stuff for style points), then buy (any) Perfume for 2 tokens from a merchant (you hopefully have some Handfuls already, if not, get those as well). Go to IF/UC, find your respective NPC, get smashed, use the perfume, toss the roses, and /kiss. Horde Note: Apparently, there’s no alcohol for sale in UC, so get some before you make the trip.
I Pitied The Fool
Requirement: Pity the Love Fool in the locations specified below.
How to Complete: Buy 5 Love Fools for 50 Tokens from the merchant, then drop one and /pity them in each listed area (Wintergrasp, Arathi Basin Blacksmith, Naxxramas, Battle Ring of Gurubashi Arena and The Culling of Stratholme). You will have to be 80 to get into Naxx, so hurry up and level if you’re not there yet. (The fool does last 10 days from purchase, so you could conceivably finish this one after the holiday was over and still get credit for the Meta).
Requirement: Enjoy a Buttermilk Delight with someone in Dalaran at a Romantic Picnic during the Love is in the Air celebration.
How to Complete: Buy a Romantic Picnic Basket (10 Tokens) and a Box of Chocolates (10 Tokens) from the merchant. Find someone else, pop your basket, wait till they sit down with you (and you get the Romantic Picnic buff), then open the Box and eat a Buttermilk Delight for credit. (You may want to open the box first to make sure you get a Buttermilk Delight…but that spoils the fun. ) :)
My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose
Requirement: Obtain a Bouquet of Red or Ebon Roses during the Love is in the Air celebration.
How to Complete: Just like the Winter Festival hats, these drop from Northend instance bosses, specifically Maiden of Grief in Halls of Stone, Prince Keleseth in Utgarde Keep or Prince Taldaram in Ahn’kahet: The Old Kingdom. Normal or Heroic. UK’s the easiest, obviously.
Nation of Adoration
Requirement: Complete the Lovely Charm Bracelet daily quest for each Horde or Alliance capital.
How to Complete: Complete the Lovely Charm Bracelet daily quest for each Horde or Alliance capital. :) See #2 above.
Requirement: Shoot 10 players with the Silver Shafted Arrow.
How to Complete: Buy 10 Arrows for 10 tokens from the merchant…then start shooting. :)
Requirement: Sample all four the Love is in the Air candies.
How to Complete: Buy a Box of Chocolates for 10 tokens, open and eat. Best done while doing the Lonely? achievement. May need to buy two.
The Rocket’s Pink Glare
Requirement: Shoot off 10 Love Rockets in 20 seconds or less.
How to Complete: Buy 10 Rockets for 10 tokens, put them on your hotbar, and fire away.
Big Love Rocket (not required for meta)
Requirement: Obtain the Big Love Rocket from Apothecary Hummel in Shadowfang Keep during Love is in the Air.
How to Complete: Get a group for the boss, kill him, get the VERY rare drop AND win the roll. :). This is actually a Feat of Strength (worth 0 points).
Lovely Luck Is On Your Side (not required for meta)
Requirement: Open a Lovely Dress Box and receive a Lovely Black Dress.
How to Complete: Lovely Dress Boxes cost 20 tokens. Grind tokens and buy until you get lucky.
Perma-Peddle (not required for meta)
Requirement: Obtain a permanent Peddlefeet pet by procuring a Truesilver Shafted Arrow.
How to Complete: Buy the Truesilver Shafted Arrow for 40 Tokens from the merchant.
Tough Love (not required for meta)
Requirement: Defeat the trio of Crown Chemical Co. apothecaries in Shadowfang Keep.
How to Complete: Get a group, go to SFK, and beat them down. :) You don’t really need a tank, but you will need a healer. You’ll get two items to become immune to perfume OR cologne; Hummel’s attacks are all perfume, Baxter’s attacks are all cologne, and Frye uses both. Have two players go immune to perfume/cologne respectively and “tank” Hummel and Baxter to the sides- the rest burn down Frye, then the others, staying out of clouds as much as possible. (Melee, you’ll need to switch which immunity item you’re using, as Baxter/Hummel have cologne/perfume auras. Ranged can fire away.)